What's Hot
sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
edited October 2014 in Guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited October 2014
    I am looking at getting a CA strat and there are a few out there

2009 CS deluxe in candy tangerine - £1495 as new or £1150 second hand - couple of tiny marks (sunburst)
    2012 CS deluxe new - £1599
    60,s NOS - £1575 new
    61 NOS - second hand but mint - £1250

which of these is the better deal and better guitar 

John Cruz pups on the 61
    standard 60s on the 60
    Abby handwound on the 2012
    69's on the 2009.

all have a similar radius
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I'd go for the vintage spec personally.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The most important thing is how the feel and sound to you personally.  It is all that matters.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Richardj said:
    The most important thing is how the feel and sound to you personally.  It is all that matters.  
    my thoughts too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • There's not much in it. In terms of quality both are in the earlier tiers of what the customshop offer. I have a pro which is very good. When I tried out the others in the shop the NOS and Deluxe were on a par in terms of quality.
  • There's not much in it. In terms of quality both are in the earlier tiers of what the customshop offer. I have a pro which is very good. When I tried out the others in the shop the NOS and Deluxe were on a par in terms of quality.

what are these tiers - i thought custom shop was custom shop (apart from master built of course)
  • They are unofficial, but the price list gives an indication. http://issuu.com/fender/docs/2014-custom-shop-pricelist-us-bw?e=1895196/8478046 It doesn't include the dealership spec guitars which sit slightly above the deluxe and pro range, but usually below the higher end heavy relics and limited editions. So very loosely you have, nos, deluxe and pro, then dealership specs and lighter relics, then limited edition and heavy relics, then masterbuilt. They are all good though and I would recommend a day out somewhere with a large stock and play them all. You are quite likely to end up with a cracking guitar that way.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited October 2014
    I believe the NOS guitars are more expensive new than the Deluxes. Personally I'd go for the used NOS as I'm a traditionalist, I don't use the trem, it will hold its value better, and I think flame top Strats are somehow just 'wrong'. I wouldn't be hoodwinked by the Abby pickups either, I don't believe they're any better than 'normal' CS pickups - outrageous statement I know, but I've done a side-by-side test with my CS guitars and my ears prefer the ordinary pickups and find the Abby's a wee bit harsher.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I also don't use a trem so tuning stability is low on my list of priorities
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited October 2014
    In my experience the two point trem is harder to lock down effectively than the vintage six screw type.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited October 2014
    My abby pickups became a set of Lollars. On the flipside, the best neck pickup I've ever heard is an abby in a friend's guitar
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    What exactly are you looking for in your "additional" Strat?