New 'improved' Les Paul 2015 headstock logo.

What's Hot
BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Should Gibson wish to adopt it...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Quit horsing around!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Now with 'Mi-Niegh-Tune'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The scrawl is only for one year. The 2016 models will be out sometime next August.

Now that I have finally realised that the Zero Nut is adjustable I am quite keen on the idea.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited October 2014
    At least Gibson haven't cooked the books. 

As far as we know... :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Their design department is having a mare

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Gibsons problem is that Henry J spends his days wanking into a copy of Steve Jobs biography, so we have all these pointless solutions to problems that don't exist. Meanwhile the feds raid his factory over a paperwork issue. Slash turned Gibsons fortunes around, not Henry J.
  • The zero brass nut hybrid is a great idea as is the pick guard since some people are quite precious about little holes in their guitars. It's a genuine les paul signature which I think it's a nice personal touch.

They've done something different and yet again people are moaning. If they churned out the same guitar year after year people would also be moaning. They're not just playing it safe which is great. Unfortunately being one of the first with a "perfect" design means they're then tied to it.. any changes are nit picked and discussed at a far too greater length for any sane person.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    They could do plenty of new and interesting stuff which is as close to or as different from the old stuff as they want, and *not* ruin it with one glaring detail which anyone with any sense of aesthetics would agree is wrong - but they have a track record of getting it wrong so long it's almost easier to believe it's deliberate.

Almost as if they don't want anyone to buy the cheaper stuff, but stump up more for a Historic, in fact...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• zenzeypher;381599" said:
    The zero brass nut hybrid is a great idea as is the pick guard since some people are quite precious about little holes in their guitars. It's a genuine les paul signature which I think it's a nice personal touch.

They've done something different and yet again people are moaning. If they churned out the same guitar year after year people would also be moaning. They're not just playing it safe which is great. Unfortunately being one of the first with a "perfect" design means they're then tied to it.. any changes are nit picked and discussed at a far too greater length for any sane person.

Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.
    There are so many models of les paul it's stupid - why so many models?

We really don't need a confusing range - let's say, for a standard 2 humbucker les paul, a lower range (epi), mid range (studio), high range (standard - yes, this should be a high range) and custom shop for if you want extra features (what? A custom shop for custom styled guitars? Noooooo...). That way, if you wanted fancy tuners, a zero fret, or other unusual features you can get them.

Most folk just want a good les paul in a colour they like.

They may well end up needing to expand custom shop production to accommodate demand for unusual stuff, but the simplification of range should lead to better quality control and a range that's easy for people to follow. People change pickups out anyway - we don't need a new model for a different pickup.

And we don't need a new model every year - a les paul is a les paul.

And fix the headstock on the standard ranges, and let people spec the vintage style (ready to break) one on a custom shop guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    ICBM said:
    They could do plenty of new and interesting stuff which is as close to or as different from the old stuff as they want, and *not* ruin it with one glaring detail which anyone with any sense of aesthetics would agree is wrong - but they have a track record of getting it wrong so long it's almost easier to believe it's deliberate.

Almost as if they don't want anyone to buy the cheaper stuff, but stump up more for a Historic, in fact...
    Yep - it seems they are concentrating in moving all of the classic models way up market and pairing down the mid-to-entry stuff to create a large chasm between. Maybe we have been to canny in our purchases for their liking over recent years...?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Oh and I have no issue with the nut or tuners on the 2015 range, the Sig looks bad but not enough to stop me buying one if I liked it.