Aluminium under a pickup?

Bear with me.
I have a cunning plan (M'Lord) for mounting the humbuckers in my latest project.
They're going to be body mounted (for aesthetics) but I want them to be a bit adjustable.
So the plan is:-
take the #3-48 screws that fit them, and grind off the thread from the top 2mm so that it will spin once completely threaded through the pickup legs.
Drill and tap a narrow piece of alu strip to go in the cavity under the pickup so that the leg screws can go into that.
Add springs/tube, foam etc and adjust to taste.
Profit?

Anyway, are there any issues with having aluminium in that close a proximity to the pickup? I remember eddy currents but that's a switched magnetic field IIRC.
Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Yes, ally will have eddycurrents in it when the strings are struck but I doubt the effect will be great or audible.

Bit of "engineering" advice? Use extruded ally plate (you could probably get enough free from a d glazing company for 10 pups!) It is harder than pure ally and will take a thread more cleanly and be less likely to strip. Best lube? WD-40.

An alternative would be a hard brass or even better, phosphor bronze. Very good would be a non-magnetic stainless steel but it is a pig to machine!

Dave.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Thanks for the reply.
    The couple of pieces of ally I have lying around are extruded plate.
    Shouldn't need lube to tap a #3-48 UNC thread in ally :) If I cock that up I think I will revoke my Engineering Apprenticeship ;)
    Guess I'll just get on with it and see if it does effect the sound. It's for an '80's hair metal kramer so it's actually debatable that this matters anyway :)
    Good call on the brass. Don't think I've got any knocking about though.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I think it's unlikely to make a difference on a humbucker because they already have a metal baseplate, so any additional eddy current effect will be masked by it. The magnetic field of a humbucker seems to wrap around quite tightly under the pickup anyway.

It might make a difference on a single coil with vertical rod magnets if the aluminium is very close. I would expect it to take off a bit of top-end. The large shielding sheets Fender put under the pickguards on 60s Strats definitely do, although it's fairly subtle. The full gold-anodized aluminium pickguards make quite a big difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein