Cutting nuts - basic tools required and method?

What's Hot
I vaguely remember a thread on this but can't for the life of me find it!

Based on my recent shitty experience, I'd like to know how you take a bone nut blank and turn it into a beautifully shaped piece of tuning stability.

Someone on the service thread sent a 5 quid file on ebay - is this alright?

What shape should the slots be, and how do you achieve this?

Etc :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Don't buy cheap tools. They're (usually) cheap for a reason.

I think Stew Mac oes the best tools (files etc) etc for this sort of job.

Or ask mr Phillips for advice.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2014
    I have the Stew Mac double edged files for guitar, bought s/h from Feline Guitars via this forum.  They've been a great purchase and have already paid for themselves since I had to set up multiple guitars for thicker strings.  I have not cut a new nut from a blank yet, just worked with nuts that have already been cut but needed altering.

The only other ones I'm aware of people using and liking are the Hosco ones.  My local tech has both Stew Mac and Hosco files and he says both do the job but he prefers the Stew Mac ones.  The pictures aren't great (taken on my phone) but check out my post from July 7th for some photos http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/18469/nut-files-should-beginners-be-wary#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fabby, cheers chaps.

I'll give them a read later :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11497
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Much reading, and much practice, and buying the right tools.
    Then reviewing your own work and making adaptations & improvements to your method

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I'm having my nuts cut in a few weeks. We've got 2 kids and that's enough. I wouldn't do myself though even with a DVD. Best go to the docs bud :)

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I can do them for you Decker.

I have some bolt cutters. Or tin snips. which ever I drag out the tool box first.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• LEAVE MY NUT ALONE
  • I only have one.

Might not be true.

Is your name Adolf?

• mike_l said:

Is your name Adolf?

Everyone knows that Evil is my middle name. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/288472/#Comment_288472

I'd echo the advice to not buy cheap nut files off ebay, they're crap. Hosco ones I eventually bought are plenty good enough for my hobbyist requirements, and not too pricey.
    edited October 2014
    Hey TPD. You can have my nuts if you want. Just one if you want to be normal, or have both cos then you'll have 3. You could pretend you were the 3 balled brother of that 3 titted hooker in Total Recall. Just sayin

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    My fave comment ever on the Fretboard was in response to Mark Phillip's nut...

Something along the lines of fortification that would have prevented even Saladin's Army.....

I utterly wet myself.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    My fave comment ever on the Fretboard was in response to Mark Phillip's nut...

Something along the lines of fortification that would have prevented even Saladin's Army.....

I utterly wet myself.
    I'm scared that I'll get some blanks and start practising and they'll end up being worse, both as a nut and as a fortress wall. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Col_Decker;381291" said:
    I'm having my nuts cut in a few weeks. We've got 2 kids and that's enough. I wouldn't do myself though even with a DVD. Best go to the docs bud :)
    Just don't. I really don't understand men who do this to themselves. One of those areas where the science is a lot less clear than the NHS would have you believe. The hormonal coil is much better, and requires no reengineering.
  • I bought some expensive files, then I bought some cheap ones too to do  donkey work - especially when I'm doing brass nuts rather than bone
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    As a variation, I spent some brass on some cheap donkeys, to do expensive filing work.
    needless to say, it didn't work out...

I'll get me coat   8-}

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    Evilmags said:
    Col_Decker;381291" said:
    Just don't. I really don't understand men who do this to themselves. One of those areas where the science is a lot less clear than the NHS would have you believe. The hormonal coil is much better, and requires no reengineering.

My Mrs's mate had the coil fitted. She's currently a week overdue with their 3rd child (unplanned natch)