Newly discovered SRV live footage "The Sky is Crying" 1980

What's Hot
A bit of video has emerged on YouTube of SRV playing the Albert King version of "The Sky is Crying" with Jackie Newhouse on bass and Chris Layton on drums in 1980. After a bit of The Fabulous Thuinderbirds, SRV's piece starts around 1:30:

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Oh YES!  That's just right up my street. Have a wow on me :D
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    He clearly sounded like SRV before he was famous then - I read the other day it would have been his 60th birthday.

He really was a remarkable talent.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    My favourite guitarist for years and the one who got me playing. Absolutely gutted when he died.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fantastic, great find.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    That is absolutely amazing.

In the sea of Strat toting, string raking pretenders that came in his wake (I'll hold my hand up to that..) you forget what an amazing,raw talent he was.

I'm off to dig out my live at El Mocambo VHS
  • I was pretty amazed when I found it and I'm not sure how long it'll be before the SRV estate people come and drop a DCMA on it.

He clearly had The Tone and was pretty much a fully rounded guitarist even then. Mind you he was 26 in 1980 so we shouldn't really think of him as young when this was recorded.
  • Awesome strat tone.

Funny listening to the real thing in raw form, after 20 years of less talented clones have kinda sickened me of that style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763

He really was an absolute legend.

The icing on the cake is the comedy expressions he pulls whilst playing, lol.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited October 2014

SRV - RIP - one of the great texas blues players & one of my all time favourite guitarists.  Yet he was often self-critical, always aspiring to play and sound like Hendrix who was a massive influence on him. But SRV had the most amazing talent, tone and feel of his own - & not just with blues - the tune he wrote for his wife, 'Lenny' (influenced by Hendrix' intro to Little Wing), is just wonderful in its construction, tone & playing.  He's sadly missed - such a shame for us to lose such a talent so prematurely.   :( 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    ^ I agree. Whenever someone with a great gift dies young, we lose the rest of their career. I got the sense with 'In Step' that he'd made a significant move forward - what he could have gone on to could have been astonishing.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Better quality version:

From the same gig, Love Struck Baby:

There is some great early SRV stuff available - there's a CD called "In The Beginning" and a fantastic bootleg "Force of Nature".

The man was a marvel, left a hyge gap.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The SRV boxset has some awesome early stuff on it. 

Basically he was always jaw-droppingly good.