What multi effect is this?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681

The G3 nearly does it as does the M9 and the Nova, but none of them do it in the way you would want as a gigging musician.

Assuming that the companies want to sell what they make to as many gigging musicians as possible, and probably did at least some market research, it may be fair to say that if you want something nobody makes then not enough people want it to be a viable product.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited September 2013 tFB Trader
    daveyh said:

The G3 nearly does it as does the M9 and the Nova, but none of them do it in the way you would want as a gigging musician.

Assuming that the companies want to sell what they make to as many gigging musicians as possible, and probably did at least some market research, it may be fair to say that if you want something nobody makes then not enough people want it to be a viable product.
    I don't agree with that at all.
    If current FX are meeting peoples needs how come there are so many people on here and previously music radar asking for this product?
    Also how come most people on here who switch to a multi go back to pedals even though the soudn quality of the multis is usually as good or better?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    daveyh said:

If current FX are meeting peoples needs how come there are so many people on here and previously music radar asking for this product?
    Also how come most people on here who switch to a multi go back to pedals even though the soudn quality of the multis is usually as good or better?

Well, active people on MR and here are the tiniest fraction of the tiniest fraction of guitarists in the world, it's hardly representative. If it was needed by enough people to make it worthwhile, they'd make it.

If people didn't go back to pedals, they wouldn't be able to shout out about their OD being the best in the universe and all others suck the next time someone asks for advice on OD pedals. And probably something to do with it being much easier to turn a knob than edit a patch.

tFB Trader
    daveyh said:

Well, active people on MR and here are the tiniest fraction of the tiniest fraction of guitarists in the world, it's hardly representative. If it was needed by enough people to make it worthwhile, they'd make it.

If people didn't go back to pedals, they wouldn't be able to shout out about their OD being the best in the universe and all others suck the next time someone asks for advice on OD pedals. And probably something to do with it being much easier to turn a knob than edit a patch.

I think it's a big enough sample to establish that there is a demand for such a thing.

People who make multis have swung from a paradigm of overly complex patch based systems to emulating stompboxes, but clearly there must be a middle ground. 

daveyh said:

I think it's a big enough sample to establish that there is a demand for such a thing.

One person would be a demand', but anecdotal from a forum is hardly enough to justify the cost in development. What do you think would be a reasonable demand to justify a big company researching and producing a multi-effect to suit your requirements?
    tFB Trader
    Seriously you think I'm the only person who uses patch switching.

What planet are you on?
    Seriously you think I'm the only person who uses patch switching.

What planet are you on?

The planet that thinks that's not what I said.

tFB Trader
    And I think it would probably be a couple of days of developer effort to enable patch switching on the G3. 
    tFB Trader
    In which case what is the point you are trying to make because apparently my desire that stompbox style FX should support patch switching is an esoteric niche requirement. 

In which case what is the point you are trying to make because apparently my desire that stompbox style FX should support patch switching is an esoteric niche requirement. 

As you've pointed out, it would probably not be a big thing for them to do, so why havn't they done it the way you think they should? It's likely either available in higher price units, or there isn't enough demand to justify it.
    tFB Trader
    Is it possible that perhaps that there are product that aren't perfect?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912

I think I'm missing something... you can switch patches with the G3. You hold down the left footswitch and cycle with the other two. It's not ideal if you want to switch them mid-song, but if you use one patch per song it's pretty reasonable.

The only other way around it would be to have 50 footswitches, each having a dedicated function. I think that's why not every multi-fx is everyone's moon on a stick.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27568

How many? Half a dozen or so? Versus tens of thousands of multiFX sold?

I'm not sure most people do! Some, certainly. But a fair proportion of guitarists change pedals constantly - that doesn't mean that the stompbox format is fatally flawed, it's just that we as a group are magpies when it comes to gear.

I'm not saying that what you want is unreasonable at all, and I suspect you're correct that implementing it wouldn't be difficult for the manufacturers, but I am doubtful that the demand (compared to that for multis as they currently exist) is high enough for them to do it.

When I've used multis before, I've switched between patches rather than wanting to turn effect blocks on and off inside them - if I wanted with and without phaser I'd either make two patches, or use a control pedal to turn that one block on and off. Having a footswitch for each block isn't how I've used multis at all.

Plus if you make this an additional switching mode it only adds to the operational complexity for a lot of people.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:

When I've used multis before, I've switched between patches rather than wanting to turn effect blocks on and off inside them - if I wanted with and without phaser I'd either make two patches, or use a control pedal to turn that one block on and off. Having a footswitch for each block isn't how I've used multis at all.
    I just want patch switching at all not any kind of fancy block stuff. The G3 only allows you to scroll up and down. It seems that you only get either user friendly with knobs or patch switchy, but not both. For example the Nova has patch switching, but it horrible to use. The G3 is easy to use but doesn't have patch switching. The M9 is easy to use, but doesn't have patch switching etc.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27568
    Ah - sorry. I should have paid more attention to what you actually said, and less to what I'd thought you'd said! What effects do you need? The old Boss ME-5 sounds close to what you're after (you could set up an empty patch in each bank as your bypass) but is only compression, dirt, EQ, chorus/flanger and delay/reverb.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    I generally use reverb, trem, chorus, delay and occasionally phaser. 

The ME-5 is a possibility, but it's weird there isn't a modern solution. 
  • It looks like the Zoom G5 allows you patch switching between 3 patches (3 patch/bank).
    tFB Trader
    Ahh didn't realise that. 

That would fit the bill, but it's a bit on the big side and doesn't have a moon on a stick.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's it, I'm out. :D