EMG gubbins won't fit in cavity

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
edited October 2014 in Guitar
So I'm trying to fit EMGs to my Tele style guitar and i can't get the gubbins to fit in the control bit hole with a battery as well. I've spent the evening trying to figure all this out and at the last stage, it has let me down

it's only a Squier, so I'm thinking its not worth getting the space increased, may have to get a new one after all?
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Get the butter out
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    the battery will go under the scratch plate with a bit of help from a Dremel or a router . Some Teles are routed for a neck hum bucker, so you might get lucky there
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    edited October 2014
    I have no skills whatsoever. If I'm going to pay somebody i may as well get a different guitar
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    can you  lay the battery down flat in the control cavity under the 2 pots ? I'd check myself but my Tele isn't to hand
  • It fits yes but not with the rest of the wires and the switch and volume tone pot things

its ok I've dismantled it all now, will see if i can get a different one that it'll fit in, been trying to shift my old Variax for months now so time for part ex me thinks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72302
    Are you using the solderless wiring harness? If so, that's a ridiculous extra amount of crap to try to fit under there.

Remove it all and do a proper soldered wiring harness with the minimum of cable and it should fit.

If you've already done that, you may just have to deepen the cavity slightly. Quite a lot have a sort of 'block' in the middle which gets in the way. You can remove this without risking going through the back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    edited October 2014
    Thanks all for the help but looks like I'm just going to look for a new instrument that has room for the stuff. 

I have no practical skills whatsoever, so woodwork is out of the question. I can't solder which is why I bought solderless pups, and the two pickup wires already didn't fit through the hole between the pick up bit and the control bit so I had to put one through the hole that was for the ground before, which meant the bridge was slightly raised as it was sitting on the wire. Oh and the Jack didn't fit into the metal Jack cover thing either

Will have to get somebody to put the previous pups back in and keep it as a spare, and trade in the Variax to get a new one