Which Decimator for my rig?

What's Hot
Don't know which version of the ISP Decimator to buy and I'm not sure if this is complicated by running through a Moen GEC9 Switcher? Ideally I'd want to have it before or after the GEC9 so I can keep the 9 programmable loops for other pedals.

The best version is the G-string and should be after dirt then through amp's effect loop with delay/reverb etc. right?

I have a few Dirt pedals (EQ Palisades, BAT Pharaoh), then a mixture of delay/reverb/chorus/phase/tuner/compressor and my amp is an Orange OTR120. Which Decimator would suit this and where?

About to set up my pedalboard but won't have the chance to try things with my amp yet.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    Assuming you can set up a G-string like the boss NS2 x-pattern thing (I haven't tried the G-string, I just have the standard one... I emailed them once to ask and got no answer :)) ), then I'm guessing the g-string is the one if you want to cut both amp dirt and pedal dirt.

That being said, the g-string costs almost what two standard decimators cost, and you have more control with two. And personally I found the bog standard one in the loop cut more or less all the noise I needed, anyway.

Yet another of my patented, "That was absolutely no help and actually confused matters further" posts...
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    edited October 2014

I've got a G-string (lol) and I find it useful because I stack overdrive into my amp's distortion, so I have noise/feedback from both my preamp and pedals. If you're running into a clean amp then I would perhaps say just go with the bog-standard Decimator and put it in front of your amp, after your dirt.

The G-string works differently to the NS2, in that the ISP is actually designed to work like the NS2's x-pattern (run in both the loop and front). The Boss is probably more suited to pedal noise as it has a loop in itself that you connect your dirt pedals into. It cuts noise pretty well that way.

But this is all speculation on my part. I would go for the G-string as it really is incredibly good at what it does, and you don't HAVE to run it in both the loop and in front. I replaced my NS2 with it because the Boss just killed my clean channel. If you go with this, I would put it at the end of your chain in front, and before your verbs and delays in the loop.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I mainly need to think through how the G-String would work with my GEC9 Effect Switcher, to have it after the dirt pedals and before delay/reverb but still have all the pedals controllable with the GEC9. I'm kind of thinking I'll just get an ISP II and if I see the need to, trade up to the G-String.
    I think @mike_l has one of those switchers, and he uses a gate of some sort, so perhaps he can offer a bit of guidance with regards to pedal order.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    If you're not getting any gain from the amp then I'd put it at the end of the pedal board,  I use a standard decimater but put it in one of my loops so it only affects the drive pedals and is out of the signal chain for cleaner sounds.  I know you want to save your loops but it might be worth experimenting to see if it works better only on the distorted patches - to get more effective noise reduction I found it better to keep it out of the clean sounds.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Bidley said:
    I think @mike_l has one of those switchers, and he uses a gate of some sort, so perhaps he can offer a bit of guidance with regards to pedal order.

Correct, although the board is stripped right down at the moment. I used both the Boss NS-2 and MXR Smartgate, but had them both outside of the switchers loops.

so it (effectively) was

Guitar -Wah - Moen - Gate - Amp  The loops of the Moen are then outside the signal chain, but when switched on they are in line.

So switching on loops 1/3/5 it becomes

Guitar - Wah - Moen1 - Moen3 - Moen5 - Gate - Amp.

With a bit of ingenuity you can also put pedals to the front of the amp, and in the F/X loop, and switch from clean-dirty on your amp.

Before the board was stripped it was

Moen loops 1-6 Gain boost, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Low gain, high gain

Loop 7 Amp clean/dirty

Loops 8 & 9 different delays

Using the matching Moen Power Station you can use (effectively) make your board a multi F/X, with a socket for guitar in, Fx Loop in, Loop Out, And to the front of the amp.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited October 2014
    Bidley said:

The G-string works differently to the NS2, in that the ISP is actually designed to work like the NS2's x-pattern (run in both the loop and front). The Boss is probably more suited to pedal noise as it has a loop in itself that you connect your dirt pedals into. It cuts noise pretty well that way.

That's interesting, because all the info on ISP's site (at least, the last time I looked) seemed to suggest you couldn't run it like that (or at very least it didn't exactly make crystal clear that you could do the x-pattern thing, and as I said, I e-mailed them and got no response :)) ). So it definitely works like that, then? Makes sense and I sort of assumed it would, since it doesn't make much sense as a product if it doesn't... but if I'm spending my own money (or advising someone else), I sort of like more confirmation than, "I assume" :))

(I've kind of gone off the idea of getting one because I don't really use noise reduction that much any more, and when I do the bog standard one does the job, but it'd be nice to know all the same, just in case I change my mind. :D)

Also LOL at the "I've got a G-string (LOL)" bit.
    Dave_Mc said:
    That's interesting, because all the info on ISP's site (at least, the last time I looked) seemed to suggest you couldn't run it like that (or at very least it didn't exactly make crystal clear that you could do the x-pattern thing, and as I said, I e-mailed them and got no response :)) ). So it definitely works like that, then? Makes sense and I sort of assumed it would, since it doesn't make much sense as a product if it doesn't... but if I'm spending my own money (or advising someone else), I sort of like more confirmation than, "I assume" :))
    Yeah that is what it's designed for. I have to admit I didn't find ISP's blurb all that helpful (I wondered how it was supposed to be used too), I ended up reading reviews and watching Youtube videos to get clarification.

Yeah, I can deal with a bit of hum at home levels, but with a band I have an issue with feedback and this does the job so well.
    Yeah. Even at home it's helpful, but I figure I might improve more if I turn it off. :))