Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm always pretty fond of snake oil but....

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
It seems quite debatable how much difference removing the finish from your Fender makes under the scratchplate and neck.

I'm having it done to my swirl tele just to see if it does actually work.

Anyone else tried this?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes, does nothing apart from ruin your finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    How much does the plating and grade of steel used for the attachment screws affect the tone? 

Surely the things that actually connect the two pieces together is just as important.

Now where did I leave my unicorn dust........
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I found that swapping the white scratchplate on a Candy Apple Red Squier Precision Bass to a custard yellow one made it much more popular with the ladies...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16629
    I am okay with the idea that things in the join make a difference. When i build a guitar i always try to keep the neck pocket free of paint. But i rarely remove the paint from an existing guitars neck pocket unless there is an issue with the fit.

I can also get on board with the idea of higher grade screws, and do often fit proper bolts and inserts to some styles of bolt on neck

i can see how these mechanical changes to a join can make a difference.

i am struggling to see why anyone would remove paint from under a pickguard
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4997
    Yeah, under the pickguard, why? I guess it's to have an area on the body where the wood can 'breathe', but I doubt that would turn a sow's ear into a silk purse...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited October 2014
    Assuming the screws have greater tensile strength than the wood they hold together, surely they would all be capable of being tightened so much that they would strip the threads in the neck and cause the neck plate to compress the body wood? Both of these are sure-fire signs of over-tightening.

The rear-most section of the neck is also forced into the joint by string tension causing it to 'hinge' around the front pair of screws.

I don't believe removing finish in a properly fitting joint will make any tonal difference either - once properly tightened, there is no movement, whether there is finish in there or not.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16629

I don't believe removing finish in a properly fitting joint will make any tonal difference either - once properly tightened, there is no movement, whether there is finish in there or not.

exactly, proper fitting is the key thing here.  and removing paint from an already assembled guitar can stop it being a proper fit.   But when building from scratch I prefer not to rely on paint to fill the join to a proper fit

• Unless the scratchplate bit refers to shielding paint?

Apparently, this can have an effect on tone - @icbm has mentioned it before, I can't remember the details but on single coil guitars I was advised to shield the control cavity and nothing else.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Yes, excessive shielding can dull the tone because it adds capacitance, so it's possible that people mean they're removing the shielding paint. But if that's so, there's a much easier and less destructive way… just don't connect it to the signal ground. Modern Fenders have a screw terminal in the cavity floor - disconnect the wire from that. Some others do it by having the paint come up over the edges of the rout so it touches the foil on the back of the pickguard - just cover it with masking tape. No need to strip any of the finish in either case, and easy to put back to stock if you find it's all complete bullshit too noisy, or want to sell the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    I never ever wear slippers when playing my guitar through any loud amp as this does invariable ruin my tone...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sounds like a daft idea to me. 

Just get an oil finished guitar if you are worried about paint locking in the schweet tonez. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I heard the oil finishes muffle teh tonez worse than having unwashed hair.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader
    Half of the classic rock sounds we covet were played on guitars with a couple of pints of plastic gunk on them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It simply isn't possible that any tunes we like from the 70s/80s etc can be any good because of the finish and construction of the instruments. Obviously.

I can certainly see the common sense in some of the suggestions, at home or recording in isolation, but are you really going to tell the difference when everything is on '11' and there is a loud drummer etc?

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Well I guess I'll report back next week. Watch this space for life changing tone.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    edited October 2014

A lot of serious thinking has gone into this sort of question.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    57Deluxe said:
    I never ever wear slippers when playing my guitar through any loud amp as this does invariable ruin my tone...
    IIRC Santana said his tone came from his legs. Although that must be dissapointing to his tech and the people who made the small fortune's worth of gear he plays every night.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3606
    57Deluxe said:
    IIRC Santana said his tone came from his legs. Although that must be dissapointing to his tech and the people who made the small fortune's worth of gear he plays every night.
    He has mahogany legs.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Neil;383040" said:
    He has mahogany legs.
    And Brazilian rosewood ones in the States....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31451
    Whenever I want to improve my tone I just lift the blanket off my amp.