Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How many pedals are off your board?

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
edited October 2014 in FX

I think I've got issues.

I've got my board down to 4 core pedals - SP Comp, Trex Moller (OD + Boost), SL Drive and Zoom MS70-CDR. This combination covers a wide variety of tones for the covers band I play in. I usually add in a fuzz/ distortion for extra drive and am going to add a EHX Superego with a Zoom MS50 in the loop to help fill out the sound and occasionally use a looper and a Wah.

However, I have more pedals off my board than on but find it hard to let any go, "just in case" .... I must have 7 fuzzes, about 12 dirt and half a dozen modulation pedals plus a couple of delays and stuff......most of them sat in a drawer 'cos you never know.....

Am I alone?

How do you learn to let them go or is it OK to hoard?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Pedal hoarding is a well know sub-genus of the major affliction of GAS.

Welcome !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    I have an MXR Smart Gate and EHX LPB-1 clean boost off my board atm but they are on stand by and will not be sold... 

i <3 modulation so let me know which pedals you have floating around and i'll 'look after them' for you ;)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I work on one simple rule "a pedal off a board is really a pointer that another type of board is required".

Currently:

Posh, DIY, Grunge, Mini, Loopy

I've got a few pedals floating about.. but they're headed for a board for my eldest who picked up his guitar again yesterday :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Everything I dont use has been listed for sale with the exception of one pedal. 

But to be fair there is a cupboard in my house that is known as the pedal cupboard and at one time it was rammed full of pedals. 
    Just down to 5 in there now. 

Its liberating to get rid of them all. I have even reduced my board from 14 pedals to 7.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17565
    tFB Trader
    I really hate having stuff not in use. 

Currently I have one heavy drive which isn't in use, but would get swapped with a fuzz if I needed to use my board for rock stuff (dep gig etc).

I also have one drive which I like, but I can't see myself using and that's probably going to get sold.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7131
    I have around 50-60 pedals off my board at the moment.

Says a lot I reckon, but I have been collecting/trading on & off since I was a teenager and so I have amassed a horde of favourites.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sounds like a guy on shortscale

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    sounds like a guy on shortscale

Now this is the sort of picture I need to show my wife so that she understands I'm not that bad after all! I still think I have a problem though and guess I'm going to have to be brutal with a clearout.

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4524
    ^I'll take two from the top, three from the middle and one from the bottom please Carol
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

How many are off my board?

since I stripped the home board down all of them.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Only two off the board at the mo, but I'm selling both of them. And possibly one that's on the board, too...
    <space for hire>
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    34....ebay calling
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    None. Last unused pedal was sold about a month ago.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    At the moment I have very few pedals, which is rare for me. This is the totality of my pedal collection:

MXR Micro Amp (off the board right now)
    MXR Phase 90
    Boo Instruments TS808 clone (off the board right now)
    Ernie Ball Vol. Jnr
    Dunlop 535Q wah
    Line 6 M9
    Seymour Duncan Twin Tube drive pedal (it's shit, never has been on my board)
    a broken Boss LS-2 (half fixed, I gave up...!)

*looks around*

Yup. That's it. Gone are the days of huge collections for me!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I don't like hoarding...i just don't have space either...so only 2 pedals off my board.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited October 2014
    Beexter said:
    How do you learn to let them go or is it OK to hoard?
    It's okay to hoard. 

I don't actually know how many I may or may not have.  So that's okay.

But there's a corner of my room, which perhaps if Tolkien's Smaug had played guitar then "The Hobbit" would have been like, set in Dagenham, Essex.  There's a corner which is about 2 feet deep in pedals.  It's a big corner. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I solved this problem by getting a second board :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I'm the same. I'm not sure exactly how many I have on and off, since I'm kind of trying to get my boards tidied up (that's uber-secret code for actually putting them together in the first place), but yeah. I'm the exact same.

When I think of how little I'd get for most of them, I just can't be bothered. Maybe it'd be different if I had super-boutique pedals, but a S/H joyo is hardly worth selling for the bother of parcelling it up (not to mention if something goes wrong with the sale), and that's before you consider the "What if I regret it?" angle you mentioned in the opening post of the thread...

^ THAT DOESN'T WORK, YOU JUST FILL THE SECOND BOARD AND THEN START OVER AGAIN :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    Pedals are the one thing I do hoard, simply because every new guitar or amp will have a pedal it works best with, and it could be one from the cupboard rather than a current favourite.

Just a very simple example, with a mid-heavy 1x10 Pro Jr I prefer a Bad Monkey to a Tubescreamer, with a Twin Reverb it's the opposite.

I just installed some Gold foil pickups in one guitar and now I'm digging out little-used fuzz pedals, most of which sound fantastic with them.

Unless I'm desperate for the odd fifty quid I keep them all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    TheCount said:
    34....ebay calling

yep, should be able to pick up a few bargains from there.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom