Would you buy a Car or Van based on "PURE HOPE" to Gig Again?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
This is getting to be a real headache for me because I'm in ^ THAT^ scenario. I'll try to explain. I did a thread similar a while back but it didn't quite get to the bottom of the matter, although peeps were helpful.

Important: As my life is now, I do not need any private transport. I get to work easily on Public Transport and at a reasonable price. The only problem is, I am itching like a man with Fleas to get back Gigging again.

The last time I gigged was 1994 with a Band of mates where everything just worked out right. ie, the Drummer had a Van, I did all the Gig finding, the other Guitarist/Vocalist wrote the Original material and the Bass player.......well.....played Bass(he was cool MF though).

From the old thread I did, it was the general consensus that I should buy a vehicle.

Slight problems, please read all to take it all into consideration.

1. Finding a Band that actually does the type of Gig I am after in Sheffield is proving near impossible, it seems no one in Sheffield or near surrounding areas wants to do Soul, Funk, Funk/Rock or Retro Covers or Similar.

BUT, if one comes along out of the blue that requires me to have transport, well you get the picture, it's all down to the Odds and even then I might not pass the audition.

2. Forming my own Band, very ambitious but not impossible, but then it's buying a vehicle(If everyone else has their own) with the "Faith" that it'll work.

3. Everyone's Fave scenario. Guitarist Required: No Transport Necessary.

Finances

I could buy a vehicle, not new I might add, but the amount one lays out is all based on their expectations. Buying a Rust Bucket piece of Shit might be cheap, but could feck you up big time at an inopportune moment.

Do I need to continue, you get the picture, my head hurts, I have more procrastinating issues eating away at me that I'll no doubt foist upon you all soon.

I've just got to get out there again.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help.

*Sucks Thumb*

;-)
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd start a Van Fund asap. It will accumulate if you pay into it regular while you're looking for a gig. You might have to dip into it to hire something before you buy one if a gig turns up quickly, but you can always put your gig money back into the Van Fund.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I just read Pips prose and it pretty much reflects my own thoughts. If an audition comes up out of town, hire a car and go. If the gig comes off then go buy a suitable set of wheels. Owning a vehicle is a considerable cash drain so use this period of not having that cash drain to accumulate wealth ready.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    Wisdom for the above but balls to vans. Cars are so much better as long as you can get your gear in. You'll be amazed what I've fitted in a Corsa or Polo in teh past.

And get yourself out there on message boards, gumtree, bandmix, etc. You never know who'll spot an ad- you just have to make it more interesting than the usual. Ie not:

"Guitarist available. I'll play anything as long as it's Stones, Hendrix, Comfortably Numb and Metllica. Will play wedding gigs only"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited October 2014
    van fund is a good idea, and an estate or 'people carrier' might be easier to insure, cheaper to buy and carry nearly as much gear as a small van. 

Does it have to be gigging? I'm in Sheffield, I like the same styles as you do, but I can't commit to gigging. My last one was around the same time when you stopped, 1995 IIRC. 

Regular practice sessions with mates might just be the right thing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    All the bands I work in have vans. What do car people do, load the gear from the house to the car, then out the car to the gig, then back in the car, then back in the house at 1am ! That sounds like twice as much work :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited October 2014
    A hatchback with the rear seats down (or completely) out would be ok as long as you aren't lugging all the PA as well. Diesel powered - has no boy racer chic and are cheaper to run.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Modern estates (and all hatches) have some kind of a lip at the back. If you can heave your combo or cabs over it, fine, but I can't*, which is why I said Van.

* also includes "won't". I saw a BMW estate, and its lip was only small, about 1.5", but it was covered with a plastic bit, which would be cracked into shards by the time I'd loaded/unloaded a flightcased AC30 a couple of times.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    just get a trailer. Put all your gear in the back of the car (including the drums ) and put the Drummer in the trailer!.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the ideas and vehicle suggestions lads.

Hiring for occasional opportunities would be a good idea, I'm used to hiring Cars, but I expect you are referring to hiring a Van? Are there any Vehicle Insurance problems or Insurance "Needs" to negotiate with the Rental Company when using the Van for Banding.

I realise I would also need to slap some extra cover on my Gear as it is only insured at home, not for gigging or transporting.

Sod that, save money on buying a trailer and get the Keys player to provide a Drum Backline ;-)
  • Not AFAIK. The Magic Mushroom Band hired a Luton Transit many times and I don't think the rental company asked what they used it for. May be different these days, but if they don't ask, don't tell them. I hired a van a few times for the "Universal PA" company much more recently when I worked for them, and never experienced any questions or special conditions. You hire the van, take it back, pay the money, job done.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26953
    I'm pretty sure band activities are less strenuous than going to a jewsons and filling with bags of sand and then driving it through a site and having workmen climbing on the roof (or whatever it is builders do at lunchtime).

I've hired vans loads of times for band stuff. Always told them what for and never had issue
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Cheers for the update on the Hire Vehicles, sounds a good starter for 10!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Danny1969 said:
    All the bands I work in have vans. What do car people do, load the gear from the house to the car, then out the car to the gig, then back in the car, then back in the house at 1am ! That sounds like twice as much work :)

yep, that's what we do. Surprised if you are leaving a van loaded up over night though. I think everyone I know who has a van has had it broken into over night at some point.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402

Well I spose there is a danger in some areas of a break in if the van isn't armed lock wise  and alarmed properly. I do know of one band who had their whole van nicked a long time ago  but these days with immobilizers that would be a lot harder. 3 out of 4 of the vans in the bands I work with are on drives in households with dogs so quite safe I think. 

Musicians insurance services charge 2% of the gross value of the kit per annual on top of the normal van premium so you can protect yourselves reasonably cheaply. The nice thing about always having the van loaded is you can just jump into it after work and drive to the gig then drive home and go straight to bed. We had an injector go on one van recently and one of us borrowed a van from work which we had to unload at the studio after every gig and it was a real pain
    www.2020studios.co.uk