EHX Magnum 44

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
Just picked up an EHX magnum 44 thought that plus my tech 21 fly rig would make a back up rig I could pop in my gig bag. I'd read a few reviews that say the magnums are good, but wasn't prepared for just how good it would be! The thing is tiny and sounds better than my valvestate 8008 and seems just as loud. I know I still need to take a cab along, but it still makes for a super portable setup, is easily loud enough to gig, and sounds great ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2014
    Yeah they're pretty loud and they get loud really quick on the volume dial.  There's enough volume there for most people especially if you use an 8 ohm cab with sensitive speakers.  It produces less output into a 16 ohm cab, and you aren't supposed to use them with 4 ohm loads at all IIRC.

The only thing they lack is low end at higher volumes, the Matrix GT1000FX I have is noticeably better in that department though this is understandable spec wise (and they aren't comparable on price).  But for the size there's nothing else I can think of that is as cheap (new) and powerful as the 44 Magnum.

There have been a few people who have had reliability issues.  So far I've only used mine a handful of times and so far so good.

Interesting that you think it sounds better than the Valvestate 8008, if I replaced my Magnum with a different backup option the 8008 is on my list.  What do you think is different about it tonally?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited October 2014
    It's just fatter than the 8008 is the only way I can really explain it, it sounds more like a guitar amp, where the 8008 sounds like a normal PA power amp. Will take it to rehearsal this week and see it it cuts the mustard Would expect the matrix to be better, but the 44 is exactly what I wanted size and price wise

• There have been a few people who have had reliability issues.  So far I've only used mine a handful of times and so far so good.

I blew one up in a shop when I tested it.  

Oops :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Do you know if the amp blew or the power supply?
  • John_A said:
    Do you know if the amp blew or the power supply?
    No idea, it was working, I had a distortion pedal going into it.  

Then it sounded really noisy and chaotic, then it went bang. 
  • OK what's the news with these. I have a BLackstar ID:TVP 260 and have been recommended one to plug straight into the two speakers. Is its wattage enough? It essentially replaces the pre/power amp yeah? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Just don't. The ID is reliable. There are reports of Magnums not even making it out of the shop before they die...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've had mine for three days and it's just fine ;)
  • EH shot themselves in the foot with that one.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Kaboom!
    Has anyone actually had one that's failed or is this just one of those internet rumours?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Yes loads of people have had them blow up.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Mine blew. Sounded fine at rehearsal then pop bang flash....no sound and a nasty burning smell from the PSU. 

I'd bought it new from Andertons and it was well within the first 12 months so it got replaced, but I never trusted it as a back-up after that. 
  • Crikey!!
    What do you think about the Orange Micro Terror, then, ICBM?
    Honestly? :)

I haven't come across or heard of any dead ones yet, but it's one of the two worst-sounding amps I've ever played. (The other is the Crate Powerblock, which are also unreliable, so don't buy one of those!)

Horribly harsh and fatiguing tone. It was made marginally less awful by running at 8 ohms than 4, and better still at 16 but you really start to lose volume like that. Also changing the valve for a really muddy-sounding spare Sovtek I had helped.

Seriously, just keep the Roland if you're worried about needing a backup. There's no need to spend money for the sake of it. I would happily gig the Blackstar with no backup anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Yes loads of people have had them blow up.

We'll fingers crossed then ;). Bought mine used so no guarantee either.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    edited October 2014
    My 44 arrived broken - just sent really loud popping noises to the speakers. Returned to seller.

As did the one a friend bought and quickly returned.

Probably enough direct experience in this thread that it's more than just an internet myth!
  • I wonder if it was a bad batch/they now make them differently or if they're just designed poorly.
    Given the general failure rate with EH products I suspect the latter.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2014
    I wonder if it was a bad batch/they now make them differently or if they're just designed poorly.
    This is possible. I'm sure they were discontinued for a while, maybe they have been redesigned. 

I really liked mine (before it blew up) it's such a neat solution.

***Edit*** Actually it looks like it was just the Calibre 22 that was discontinued.