I'd like to buy a Telecaster. REQUEST DENIED

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
edited October 2014 in Guitar
I have noise issues when playing guitar (originating from my burglar alarm) at home which I have talked/moaned about before

So latest plan was to buy EMG tele pick ups and put them into my cheap-but-I-like-it Squier Affinity Tele. The gibbons did not fit in the control cavity and I did have trouble getting both pickup cables through the hole to there to.

So I thought, ok, why not get a new Tele into which the gubbins would fit!

So far I've been to the following shops, with no success:

FairDeal, independent but big store in brum City centre. Offered me numerous ugly cabronitas and hum bucked Teles, despite me repeating each time "I need single coil holes". Also I asked about a lovely thin line one I'd seen on their website in stock. "Nah I doubt we'd have that in stock to be honest" was the reply

Guitar spares and repaies, a good guitar tech nr brum. Shut till 22nd October

Little Guitar Shop, near the last one. I stood there for 10 minutes while the shop man saw to the person who came in just after me, then he offered me plenty of Teles above the £200 I had stated, then resolved to show me a cheaper one "but this'll have the same problem as the Squier".

PMT - they had a few Squiers but apparently the Standard one only has the same small pots/control cavity, do the only option was a classic vibe which appeared to be the colour of the fluid I produced last time I had tonsilitis. He said he'd fetch me a sunburst one but then preferred to serve a kid after a flying V so I left and went to....

Guitar guitar. Who had the same sick coloured classic vibe and nothing else under £400

This is a dual thread, both a rant and a plea...what better but nit amazing guitars are there I could try out do we here that have a bigger control cavity?!

I was getting right pissed off being turned away everywhere
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Why not just rout the Affinity, if you like it?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    why not just have someone rout the cavity to full depth as per old teles and then EMG gubbins will fit in easily

Oops - just seen that you  went to a tech who was away till next week , although I suspect he will ultimately be the answer

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Have you considered Bardens rather than EMGs?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Its a bit lipstick on a pig to be honest to put any more money into a starter level guitar. The "upgrades" already cost more than the original and its in danger if becoming like Triggers Broom
    Fuck that lipstick shit. 

My strat started as a Squier and has £500 of bits bolted to it! :D
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive already bought the EMGs

I'm not going to hate much time over the next few months so want to be able to spend the time i do get playing guitar not faffing about fitting stuff.

Plan was fit pups Thursday night, get to play them today. When the fit didn't work i thought id just get one today and fit them. Now I'll have no chance to go to shops for a few weeks so I'm guitarless
    Ive already bought the EMGs

Lol, that's a good reason. I'll stop arguing ;)
  • stickyfiddle;384086" said:
    Have you considered Bardens rather than EMGs?
    Also i need solderless as i cant solder and actives due to the noise problems

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    The tele set are possibly EMGs best set - they sound really good and you make a mistake to overlook them if you dislike the tones you hear from the overused 81/85 set (or the bands that use them)

EMG had a few ace pickups back in the day - the tele , S and SA strat sets and the 58 & 60 humbuckers were all brilliant.

The 81 was always a one trick pony but nice if you liked that trick and the 85 was nice if used in it's proper position (bridge)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• As long as they sound "fine" and kill my noise problems, I'm satisfied
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Just wait and get the tech to do the job properly without all the solderless junk. It will do a much better job, probably fit, and even if it doesn't it will much reduce the amount of routing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    thecolourbox;25631" said:

So latest plan was to buy EMG tele pick ups and put them into my cheap-but-I-like-it Squier Affinity Tele. The gibbons did not fit in the control cavity...
    I'm not surprised - even with their wrist joints being ball and socket, allowing for biaxial movement.

Previously known as stevebrum
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol gibbons, blessed auto correct! Should of course say gubbins

In related news, as is often the case when one gets annoyed and rants such as I did, I seem to have got everything to fit. I don't have any strings to hand and the jack plate hole is a little small, but hopefully those two things are easier to overcome... Provided I've plugged everything in right of course, if not everything has to come off again haha

Telecaster lost...Telecaster regained
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Shame you are not closer it is actually a very straightforward job to fit the EMG's knowing a few little dodges ;)
  • I know it should be, it is just the small space to work in that was the problem. Hopefully tomorrow if i can string it up I'll find its ok and i may only need to adjust the pick up height and get a jack plate that fits...