Zendrive vs Xotic AC Booster - opinions welcome

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
OK, so further to my recent thread re help with my first pedal build - I'm about to order a kit from pedalparts.co.uk to make either a "similar" pedal to a Zendrive, or something "similar" to an Xotic Ac Booster. It was going be a Zen type clone, but having become aware of the AC Booster, I'm also really liking that one too. Anyone used both pedals, or even just one of them, and have some impressions to give? Both seem to be warm-sounding, smooth clipping, low to medium drive type pedals.

OK, the rumble drive is Mooer's version of the Zen, and may not be quite the same, but hopefully still a good comparison.

There's also this clip - not so well recorded, or played (sorry!) but maybe still useful for a direct compare:

I accept it's all probably too much obsessing over the decision, and I'll probably end up doing them both eventually anyway, but just for fun, if you're so inclined, cheers! :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Also, can anyone confirm that pedalparts' Acti-Boost Type A kit is clone of the AC Booster? I do want something that can get to middle-ish levels of dirt, just clean or very subtle near-clean levels of dirt would not be what I'm hoping for.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    You will be unsurprised to know that I have had both.

The AC has more gain and more flexible active eq. It's quite tweedy and raw but is inaccurately named as it doesn't really do clean boost.

The zen is smoother and has less gain.

Of the two I liked the ac more but prefer the liquid sunshine so didn't keep either
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You will be unsurprised to know that I have had both.

The AC has more gain and more flexible active eq. It's quite tweedy and raw but is inaccurately named as it doesn't really do clean boost.

The zen is smoother and has less gain.

Of the two I liked the ac more but prefer the liquid sunshine so didn't keep either
    Thanks, that's  a great and useful reply. I guess the smooth thing is important for me, so I'll probably go with the zen for now, and maybe give the AC clone a try after that - no harm in having more than one option anyhow. Liquid sunshine - that's an interesting comment, how would you characterize that pedal's tone in comparison to the other two?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I have the MKII. It's my all time favorite pedal. It's rather lower in gain and again tweedy in character, but not overly harsh. It's quite flat (or transparent in TGP parlance) though the MKII has an additional mid boosted gain dial which can make it push quite nicely. it retains tightness on the low strings which most ODs don't do. It's very reactive to pick dynamics which means it doesn't have huge amounts of sustain. 

The two best overdrives I've found for very sweet sustaining lead are the Plimsoul and the MXR Badass OD. The Plimsoul has a lot more gain, but the MXR has more flexible EQ.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Appreciate your thoughts re OD pedals @monquixote, cheers - I am somewhat keen on them at the moment, after years of using no pedals at all! (what was I thinking??). Plimsoul and Badass sound like good ones to me also, from your description. Cheers again! :)