Monitors sub £400

What's Hot
In the market for some, considering the Tannoy Reveal 802s, but could do with some opions. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

I have had the 5As for some years now and son (main user) and I have been very happy with them.

Tannoy have of course "been in" monitors far longer than almost anyone else and must know a thing or 1000 about the game!

Note that the 802s will deliver some serious bass (my 5s go neither very low nor very loud but suit their jazz/classical purpose perfectly in a very small room) so you need a fair sized room and/or some serious bass trapping.

Dave.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Cheers, rooms about 9ft square
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Yamaha HS7 are very good for the money.. £300
    play every note as if it were your first
    thanks clarky.

hows it hangin? Loooong time no speak pal. Music going well?
    ha.. no worries matey..

busy as fk right now…
    1/2 way through everything, finishing nothing sort of busy..

how's about you..
    Mentally busy. Balancing work across a load of countries, russia, Israel, Switzerland and Italy, as well as UK of course. Not complaining, busy means earning, but it's hard work at the moment. downside is I get to pick up a guitar one in a blue moon, even less so to record anything. I think I need a travel guitar ....I need a good gas.

a good traver guitar would be a good nick mid-range RG.. they don't cost much, very versatile, don't weigh much, and you'll not be too fussed if it picks up the odd ding in your travels..

also, take a look at some of the little multi-fx units.. the small walkman sized ones.. some of them are pretty ok for practice / jamming along with iPod [cos they have a mini jack input]..

it's more fun than propping up the hotel bar all night...

they're battery powered too.. so I've also managed to shred away for hours in the tour bus..

Got a pandora px4 somewhere, under a load of cables in a drawer probably.
    add a lost cost but pretty decent guitar, a nice pair of cans and a jack lead and you have a travel rig...
    aye, gassage......

Talking of me drawers......

I found an original Crybaby in there, complete with red Fasel too. It's great. The bottom plate has lost it's feet but it sounds ace. Totally forgot about it. THink I picked it up in some fleapit for about £20, years ago. It's like a tank. WOuld make a good cosh.

Travel guitars-  was in an anitque shop and saw a Switch guitar - remember those? Made out of some sort of resin, supposed to be very good. They had a Parker Fly too, think it was about £270, but I thought that was a bit steep. And it was custard yellow......

Clarky said:
    Yamaha HS7 are very good for the money.. £300
    I got the HS5s in the end, the 7s would have been too big. And I got carried away in the local gas emproium. Got giddy

what's the verdict on the HS5's?? I've never heard them..

I'm very impressed with the HS7's..  really tight and focused

I'll let you know. At the moment they are still in the boxes. I can't face the room clear up that's needed to get them in place. I'm looking at it, and its gonna involve un pluggin stuff and that. The very thought of it is doing me in. I may need some dutch courage first, might have  do at it tonight after going to the pub.......
    so... did you manage to brave the wires and finally get to check out your HS5's?
    Yes. Gave them a run out today. Very pleased. Cracking sound, totally neutral so very honest and balanced. Great projection of field too as in not narrow at all. Good across all the frequencies, crisp highs, even mods and well controlled bass. I bought they might be bass light, but they are bang on IMo. Well chuffed. They go loud too, but I tend to mix and master at lowest vols, and they are good low too. Cracking all in. Of course now I reckon that i Need new interface, of I've only got three....... Focus rite 2i2 probably, and for no apparent reason and no doubt for no discernible benefit ha! Other than feeding th gas of course...... I want a PRS too. A proper one. It's just come over me.
    awesome… I think the HS7's are superb.. great value for money…
    and like you say, they have great width so you can really hear the sound stage..
    they offer good depth too so there's a nice 3D quality to them..

for mixing, I tend to set the volume like you're watching a film..
    loud enough to hear the detail, but not so much so that you have to raise your voice to talk over it..
    any louder than that and messieurs Fletcher and Munson will come and get you
    I've heard of them. Tow old boys, always talking dead quiet, telling you to turn it down, you're missig the mids man,,,,,

talkingof mids, I reckon your HS7's will be great for nailing mids..

the prob with monitors that are too big is that the mids get hard to hear with clarity..

I'll post a track done on them, in the next few days
    awesome.. I'll look forward to it