yet another amplifying acoustics question

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
I'm thinking of getting a second acoustic as I'm starting to play a lot of stuff in open tunings and it's a bit of a pain to have to constantly re tune and I may have to start messing around with different string gauges. So the 2nd guitar will be kept in standard and will be used for sessions etc. (so basically a strummer), and I'm thinking that it may be a large bodied guitar (dread or jumbo) to give a bit of bass and volume. However, I may want to amplify it at some point and the received wisdom always used to be that large bodied guitars don't amplify as well as smaller bodied ones (though I don't know why this should be), is this still the case?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    They feed back easier, and the naturally more scooped tone does not usually fit into a mix quite as well.

I will go back into stuck-record territory and suggest that you fit a pickup *only* - not even one with an onboard preamp and no controls, just the pickup itself and a jack - into the guitar, and do all the rest off-board. There are so many great outboard preamps available now that you shouldn't trap yourself into fitting something onboard.

If you must fit a preamp so you can go straight from the guitar to the desk/DI box, just get one with the preamp mounted on the jack and a battery holder on the neck block. (And possibly a volume control which sticks under the rim of the soundhole.)

Onboard electronics are the devil's work and cause far more problems than they solve in the long run.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    thanks, I did wonder if it was still the case. I will bear that in mind.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I've got a Seymour Duncan Woody for sale in the classifieds. Would do the job perfectly.............just sayin'............
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I bought a Zoom 405 II from @Beexter and it sounds shockingly good for DIing acoustic, so you don't have to spend a lot of beans.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited October 2014
    ICBM said:
    They feed back easier, and the naturally more scooped tone does not usually fit into a mix quite as well.

I will go back into stuck-record territory and suggest that you fit a pickup *only* - not even one with an onboard preamp and no controls, just the pickup itself and a jack - into the guitar, and do all the rest off-board. There are so many great outboard preamps available now that you shouldn't trap yourself into fitting something onboard.

If you must fit a preamp so you can go straight from the guitar to the desk/DI box, just get one with the preamp mounted on the jack and a battery holder on the neck block. (And possibly a volume control which sticks under the rim of the soundhole.)

Onboard electronics are the devil's work and cause far more problems than they solve in the long run.
    Makes sense.  Depends what pickup you fit, you might be able to go straight to desk without needing a preamp.  I have K&K Pure Mini on one of my acoustics that I go straight to desk with.  The output level doesn't seem that different than the other guitars that have a preamp.  It's definitely a lot less hassle.  I have heard that they can be more feedback prone than under saddle or magnetic pickups but I've not personally had any problems.  That's in an OM sized guitar.  Feedback could be more of an issue on a Dread/Jumbo size.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    fortunately, the question of amplification is still a ways off for me, I'm still happy playing unplugged at sessions. Just thinking about any potential future possibilities.

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited October 2014
    As piezo pickups go, I'm very happy with the Baggs Element in my J-45. No onboard EQ, therefore also no need for girt 'ugeous 'oles, but from rehearsals and (very) limited gigging it seems the sound is nicely balanced without the need for much tweaking through the PA.

I also tried it through an AER Compact 60 my guitar teacher has and it sounded great - I think with decent outboard/amplification you can get really good results with a piezo.

I will say however that I'm very tempted by the LR Baggs Lyric internal mic at some point - although maybe with a proper big jumbo that might end up being a bit boomy. Perhaps the Anthem, where you can blend the piezo back in and tighten up the bass, might be one to look into? 

If you're looking into Dreads, I was vastly impressed with the Larry 02 series ones I played. 
  • I have an Epiphone J-200 fitted with a Tronical E-Tune. I use alot of custom tunings. Loads of Nick Drake stuff too. It works a treat. I still take a second guitar to gigs just case, but not needed it yet. The Tronical cost me £235 and has been fantastic so far. I use D'addario 11 gauge strings. The pick up is either a JJB Prestige or a K&K Mini Western in my guitars. Total natural sound. No quack or magnetic colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUayLRdX57s