Strymon and Line6??

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Why does this conversation always seem to imply that Line 6 did something wrong in order to lose employees? People move on of their own volition.
    I don't know about Line6 situation, but when a load of employees all leave and set up a new company (and the department wasn't killed) it usually implies that either they were unhappy with the way the company was going or they weren't getting an appropriate slice of the pie. Activision from Atari and Blackstar from Marshall being two good examples.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Fretwired said:
    . The truth is Line 6 never made a great deal of money.
    Really? Can you quantify that remark? :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    edited October 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    . Look at how Digitech get talked about on The Gear Page.

To be trashed by TGP means you're doing something right. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I am pretty sure the guy that is Way Huge was ex Line 6 as well. 
    I never understand why there is such a fuss over line 6. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    meltedbuzzbox;387382" said:
    I am pretty sure the guy that is Way Huge was ex Line 6 as well. I never understand why there is such a fuss over line 6. 
    That's not quite correct I think he went to work at line 6 when WH folded and then went to Dunlop when they resurrected the brand.
  • meltedbuzzbox;387382" said:
    I am pretty sure the guy that is Way Huge was ex Line 6 as well. I never understand why there is such a fuss over line 6. 
    That's not quite correct I think he went to work at line 6 when WH folded and then went to Dunlop when they resurrected the brand.
    so if you worked at line6 and leave that doesn't make you ex-line6?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    so if you worked at line6 and leave that doesn't make you ex-line6?
    Yes, I probably didn't phrase that correctly.

I meant unlike the guys from Strymon he didn't leave to start a new company he worked there while his company was on hiatus.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2014
    I never understand why there is such a fuss over line 6. 

It's a bit when kids say 'What's does everyone rave about Sgt Peppers?" - you had to be there at the time really.  When the first POD came out I was working in an area where I was surrounded by professional musician and producers on a daily basis and the POD really was ground breaking at that point.  Everyone talked about it, everyone wanted to try one and virtually every studio I can think of at the time had one... and most still have.  Although it has been greatly improved upon it did stand on it's own at the time.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    tFB Trader
    I can remember Guitarist saying something like "If you try a POD and don't lose 2 hours in complete wonder then guitat probably isn't for you" or words to that effect. It was a total revolution. 

I think still probably the most important guitar product of the last 20 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • yeah that was my understanding. I think his stuff got a cult following so he approached Dunlop and re-setup again

• impmann said:
    Fretwired said:
    come on you should know that speculation and unfounded remarks have more weight than fact
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Georg Tripps... yes he worked for Line6 after WH - DL4 and all that. Then onto Dunlop and did the Carbon Copy, among other things and then got offered to resurrect Way Huge, as he still owned the designs and they were making shed-loads on eBay... He's a really nice guy too. 

As for the poster's original question - yes the Strymon guys (who sell modelling stuff to analogue snobs - really well done, chaps) are ex-Line6... but no I'm not aware of such legal action and a quick google search doesn't bring anything up. You may need to extract your plonker from the other's grasp.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited October 2014

impmann said:
    Fretwired said:
    Oh yes .. you and I have been through this before ... let's take the UK accounts files in December 2013.

Turnover: £13,066,363
    Pre-tax profit: £186,160
    Post-tax profit: £146,595
    Total liabilities: £2,538,395

Turnover was down 6% on 2012 which was 15% down on 2011. And the company was sitting on £3.9 million worth of stock in December ... I assume Christmas didn't go to plan.

Doesn't make great reading ... there were probably some inter company transfers. I'll dig out the US figures.

Browse the web ... if a company is profitable why sell? Line 6 has a group of venture capitalists who, reading between the lines, wanted out.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I just wrote a reply to this but thought "fuck it, he's not listening anyway". So bollocks.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Fretwired said:

impmann said:
    Fretwired said:
    Oh yes .. you and I have been through this before ... let's take the UK accounts files in December 2013.

Turnover was down 6% on 2012 which was 15% down on 2011. And the company was sitting on £3.9 million worth of stock in December ... I assume Christmas didn't go to plan.

Doesn't make great reading ... there were probably some inter company transfers. I'll dig out the US figures.

Browse the web ... if a company is profitable why sell? Line 6 has a group of venture capitalists who, reading between the lines, wanted out.

Director's emoluments? R and D? Assets?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

impmann said:
    I just wrote a reply to this but thought "fuck it, he's not listening anyway". So bollocks.
    Listening to what? The above figures are a matter of public record. I won't bother with the US figures, but Line 6 wasn't making the sort of profits that funds major R&D. The company is now part of Yamaha so that won't be an issue.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Line 6 need to make a MKII of the M9 and M13 pedals. Soon as they do that, and presuming they don't drop the ball, they'll be the talk of the town again. Literally everyone who has used an M9 and M13 is waiting for it.

Until then, I guess I'll finish modifying this M9 I've got ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/GearDemos/M9_switchmods.JPG
    Gassage said:
    Fretwired said:

impmann said:
    Fretwired said:

Director's emoluments? R and D? Assets?
    No R&D in the UK, all employee related expenses were taken out of those figures. The UK is just the EU distribution/support arm which is why the stock holding is high. The UK also has £2 million of short term finance liabilities ..

• GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    Fretwired said:
    The UK also has £2 million of short term finance liabilities ..
    Bugatti Veyron's are expensive.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

You said...

The truth is Line 6 never made a great deal of money.

And then you bring up last years' accounts to prove this... 

My point is - YOUR comment is actually factually inaccurate. Yes, last years accounts are a matter of record. But go back a bit before the economic downturn - and then look at the overall figures with the US ones included. Bear in mind that Line6 UK is owned by Line6 Inc and Line6 is a US company,  so by looking at the UK figures you aren't looking at the whole picture... but of course you know that already don't you. 

Therefore the phrase "Line6 never made a great deal of money" is not true. And I wonder why you seem to trot things like this out every time the mere mention of the company is made...

You seem to revel in Line6 bashing - based on your own opinions and half truths that you have learnt via forums and the internet... and we all know how accurate forums and the internet are. You don't like where the company is now. We get it. Move on,dude...

I think I'm outta this thread... as this has all been done to death before.