Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ask your parents

What's Hot
Inspired by an interview just now on Jeremy Vine.
Does anyone know the first song you ever heard? What I'm talking about is what was on the radio/cassette or tannoy when you actually popped out. 

I've no idea about mine btw.
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited September 2013

Danny Williams with Moon River was number 1, and a few days later Cliff Richard and the Shadows with The Young Ones

Greater accuracy may be a challenge as my parents are no longer contactable to confirm! 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    edited September 2013
    Not sure if it was on the radio in the hospital, but A Whiter Shade Of Pale was number one when I was born.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited September 2013
    I do remember the first time I heard The Beatles. An older cousin played me some of their early 45s such as Love Me Do & Please Please Me on her Dansette around the time they were released. I must have been about 4 and couldn't see what the fuss was about.
  • And to possibly expand this to the parents on here what did your offspring spring out to?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Schmaltzy pop and country was the order of the day in our house.
    It will be either "Momma's don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" by Waylon Jennings or "Billy Don't Be A Hero" by whomever it was- I don't care enough to look and really tried to block both of them out as much as I can.
  • The Beatles were at number 1 when I was born. Forgotten which one - Please, Please Me I think. What I think is my earliest memory of getting really excited by recorded music was Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash - one of my brothers had a reel to reel thing and Live at San Quentin was the only tape he had.

When my oldest son was born the tv was still on in the room and he was born to the sound of an episode of Poirot.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Both of ours were born to Radiohead as my wife had C-sections and got to choose.  I probably would have plumped for Welcome To The Jungle but was happy with her choice.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

If it was Dad's choice probably some jazz shit.

Mum's choice probably either country or 60's.

Or something from the mid 70's if it was on the radio.

I remember hearing Fleetwood mac, and that Laura something or other (Flanagan?) who "lived among the creaures of the night" in about 1984 (I think).

The first album I listened to was Pink Floyd's "The Wall", followed by Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• The earliest memory of records in our house were some singles we used to put on a crappy old player:

Sympathy/Devil's High Concern
    Spirit In the Sky
    Oh Well parts 1 and 2
    Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy

There must have been music about earlier than that, but those are the first I can remember.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    some bloke in a powered wig playing a harpsichord
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    some bloke in a powered wig playing a harpsichord

What's a powered wig?  I know you probably meant a powdered wig but just in case not I am desperate to know what one is.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    its one that raises itself,  like little 'Erns   -  I thought everyone knew that.........
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • "Two little boys" by.....oh God....Rolf :-t
  • That song's never gonna sound the same again. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I think number one the week I was born was something by Take That.

Fuck me, how depressing.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyroll;37065" said:
    That song's never gonna sound the same again. 
    Played at my father's funeral ( he wasn't a man of cosmopolitan tastes). So, rather dissapointed in Rolf.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

Now if we are talking about records I readily had access to as a kid, well, that would have to be my uncle's 78 and 45 collection, many of which I borrowed. I loved any thing by Buddy Holly and the Crickets, 'Here comes summer' by Jerry Keller and one of my favourites 'Only Make believe' by Conway Twitty.  All played on a crappy old tube record player, I can smell it now.

Probably more important, certainly more influential than the first record I heard. 

• Bucket said:
    I think number one the week I was born was something by Take That.

Fuck me, how depressing.

It's not as Un-Rock n' Roll as mine though Bucket. A Hymn was Number 1 on my Birth Date.

The Pipes and Drums and Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards: Amazing Grace.

:\">
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    My mum went to a Santana concert when heavily pregnant with me. Reckon I heard some from the womb, so I'm saying that

If we're going by number ones it was Knowing Me Knowing You by ABBA. So that's why I like Partridge

Otherwise, judging by their record collection, it was something by Hendrix, Queen or The Carpenters
    All practice and no theory
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    i have no idea what no1 was when i was unleashed on the world...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)