training in logic pro

What's Hot
Looking for training courses in London that are good for a novice. To include how to set things up to work and get going through to basic mixing and mastering. This is for my daughter who is about to buy a macbook, neither of us have used apple products before. The main reason for purchase is to aid her songwriting skills and enable her to take it with her to the studio.
Thks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    I believe Apple do their own courses you can book, looks like to one-to-one training is only available as an option at the time of purchase though: https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/learn/one-to-one/

For a less formal approach there really are some great YouTube videos/lessons :)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited October 2014
    Does she want 1 on 1 training or would an online course do?

I've used www.groove3.com .  It is $15 for a month's access and you can cancel after a month.  Yes there are YouTube videos for free but the thing I liked about the groove 3 stuff was it was well structured and thought out.  I did advanced Logic X volume 1 as I already had familiarity with Logic.  I notice they've just released volume 2 so I'll probably do that when I get a chance.  They do shorter less advanced courses too.  Worth a look to see if it may be suitable.

Though I do imagine she'll want some form of 1 on 1 training at some point, I'm not sure who to suggest.  You can take certifications in Logic through recording schools IIRC but they're quite advanced from what I understand, my bandmate has done one and his knowledge of Logic is pretty high.
  • Thks .
    I know she is a memeber of the "emerging artist" program at Camden Roundhouse and uses the facilities to create with other people ( Studio with kit for £1 an hour apaprently), but can't see any software training.
    I think she will need one on one at the start to help set the machine up and sort out drivers for the interface ,etc. I can try but really do not know Mac products.
    Then she will need to be able to do the basics , once there am sure she can experiment and use you tube /on line tutorials. It's just the getting started bit.

• To do the very basic stuff like setting things up and operating the basic recording controls you just need someone else who's done it before to talk you through it.  Have you tried asking if anyone at that facility, or anyone who she knows from the local music scene uses Logic and would be able to help?
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    edited October 2014
    The courses on http://www.lynda.com and http://www.tutsplus.com are a good resource.
  • It's really not difficult.

Setting up is mostly plug and play (not quite as good as it used to be, but not hard).

Logic is not hard to set up either.  Seriously, All you need to do is choose (within logic) the inputs and outputs for the audio and midi, set up a recording channel (real instrument, software instrument or midi instrument), hit record, and go.

The rest of it is about knowing the shortcut keys and right-clicking or CMD or OPT scrolling various bits of the screen.  Print and keep the shortcut menu.  It is really useful.  Experimentation is key. 

My advice is open the included demo track which shows all the different types of instrument, SAVE AS something or other in a separate folder on the desktop, then play with the song until it breaks.  Delete the folder, open the demo track again and repeat until comfortable.

Also there is a good (if somewhat overkill at times) manual, but there is bound to be a simple set-up guide.  I've used logic for a while now, and it's not intrinsically difficult.  As has been stated above, There are some brilliant youtube vids by amateurs who have ironed out quirks and explain it quite well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Many tks .