Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

the rediscovering an album thread

What's Hot
Tonight I did listen to Verve - A Storm in Heaven and then wondered why its been so long since I last did, absolute dream of an album
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just done the same thing with Joni Mitchell's 'Night Ride Home'. Good music has a timelessness that makes rediscovering it a joy. And age often gives you a different perspective on it as well, which alters your appreciation too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I listened to Eric Johnson's 'Tones' for the first time in ages yesterday. Music with depth and soul. And speed. And chorus.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    My wife put " odelay" by beck on at the weekend. 17 years old but it could have been released yesterday as it hasn't really dated at all. Haven't heard it for probably 7 or 8 years. It's still a great album.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    jaygtr said:
    My wife put " odelay" by beck on at the weekend. 17 years old ...

:-O 

I feel suddenly old.
  • Odelay! Has it been 17 years? That "do do, dodo do do, dodo do do" opening tag has been stuck in my head all this time.

17 years!!!!

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• rprrpr Frets: 309
    No so much an album, but I've been rediscovering the Byrds. Always liked them, but they sort of got lost in amongst  other bands during my several Psychedelic 60's periods.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611

I just rediscovered Rainbow Rising - Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow - not listened to it since disconnected my turntable perhaps 25 yrs ago. Wow..... gonna get all my other old 70's albums out... just came across Rick Wakeman 6 wives Henry VIII that will get a blast this weekend too. Good times refreshing memories with these sounds.

Cheers

Baz

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited September 2013
    I recently went through my old vinyl and found Eric Clapton's first solo album...

Forgotten just how good an album it is.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    A tangential route led me to listen to Pink Floyd's "Meddle" on spotify.

It's a good album, not especially great, but what surprised me was the detail I remembered as it was playing, I knew every note and phrase, remembered all the lyrics.  I guess I really listened to albums back then. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Kate Bush Hounds of love. Bought it on vinyl when it came out and I loved it. Haven't had a working record player for decades, but recently got it on CD. 
  • Drugstore - Drugstore, absolutely bloody awesome album must be 12 years since I last listened to it, I remember them being a superb band live
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Grunfeld said:
    A tangential route led me to listen to Pink Floyd's "Meddle" on spotify.

It's a good album, not especially great, but what surprised me was the detail I remembered as it was playing, I knew every note and phrase, remembered all the lyrics.  I guess I really listened to albums back then. 
    I think we all did. All the albums I got before iTunes, I know inside out - all the song titles, lyrics, details in the arrangement, and when a song ends I 'hear' the intro of the next one in my head. All the ones I got since iTunes, I barely know the song titles, and I can often listen to a song I've had for years and not be sure if I've even heard it before.

I'm currently rediscovering a lot of early REM which I lost when my old cassette player died and I didn't bother replacing it. Found most of the albums on CD at a charity sale a few weeks ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    jaygtr said:
    My wife put " odelay" by beck on at the weekend. 17 years old 
    your wife is 17 years old ?  

crikey
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    ICBM;39298" said:
    I think we all did. All the albums I got before iTunes, I know inside out - all the song titles, lyrics, details in the arrangement, and when a song ends I 'hear' the intro of the next one in my head.
    Even CD impacted my listening habits-it's just too easy to skip the song you find 'difficult', whereas with vinyl it was too much of a faff. Often the least obvious tracks on albums became my favourites-yet these days I rarely listen to them long enough to give them a fair chance.

A busy life gets in the way; I tend to listen to music when I'm doing something (driving, ironing, etc). In my youth I had a lot more time to sit down in a quiet environment and listen without distraction.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited September 2013
    bertie;39307" said:
    jaygtr said:

My wife put " odelay" by beck on at the weekend. 17 years old 

your wife is 17 years old ?  

crikey

Alas no.
    Although she was once!
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited September 2013
    bazxkr said:

I just rediscovered Rainbow Rising - Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow - not listened to it since disconnected my turntable perhaps 25 yrs ago. Wow..... gonna get all my other old 70's albums out... just came across Rick Wakeman 6 wives Henry VIII that will get a blast this weekend too. Good times refreshing memories with these sounds.

Cheers

Baz

@Bazxkr I put Rising on yesterday for the first time in yonks and played guitar over the whole of side 1 - it felt magic.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Even CD impacted my listening habits-it's just too easy to skip the song you find 'difficult', whereas with vinyl it was too much of a faff. Often the least obvious tracks on albums became my favourites-yet these days I rarely listen to them long enough to give them a fair chance.

A busy life gets in the way; I tend to listen to music when I'm doing something (driving, ironing, etc). In my youth I had a lot more time to sit down in a quiet environment and listen without distraction.
    I never really used to skip tracks on CDs unless it was something I truly hated.

I also do listen to almost all my music when I'm doing something else - usually working, and most often I leave iTunes on shuffle so I get unexpected things from my collection that I might not otherwise think to listen to, but it does destroy the 'album experience'. I have been making more of an effort to change the settings occasionally and listen to complete albums recently though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    "Echo Park" by Feeder was the first album I ever really listened to, dad brought it home when I was seven and I just couldn't stop listening to it, loved it (that a couple of the tracks were featured on Gran Turismo 3 may have helped, used to play that constantly)... "found" it again a year or two ago and still absolutely love it. Really cracking album.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited September 2013
    Moved house recently and found "Us and Us Only" by the Chalatans at the bottom of a box. I didn't listen to it when it was released, but with fresh ears it sounds amazing.
  • Moved house recently and found "Us and Us Only" by the Chalatans at the bottom of a box. I didn't listen to it when it was released, but with fresh ears it sounds amazing.
    Ahh, there lay another discussion, albums that got better with age... James - Laid, couldnt be bothered with it in the early 90s but it would make my top 100 now possibly top 50
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom