Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

the rediscovering an album thread

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strumjoughlamps;39663" said:

Ahh, there lay another discussion, albums that got better with age... James - Laid, couldnt be bothered with it in the early 90s but it would make my top 100 now possibly top 50

I think this may be one of the most beautiful examples of damning with faint praise I've seen! Have a wow. :)

Never really got James - the seemed to ruin many an indie disco when I was at University and I think built up an irrational dislike. May go back and have a listen sometime.

Another rediscovery recently was "Tomorrow the Green Grass" by The Jayhawks. Always seemed disappointing after "Hollywood Town Hall" but it's improved with age too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    edited September 2013
    Never really got James - the seemed to ruin many an indie disco when I was at University and I think built up an irrational dislike. May go back and have a listen sometime.

Likewise, although to 'ruin' an 'indie disco' may be kind of analogous to 'damning with faint praise' ;) in the words of a comedian I can't quite remember, it's like mixing Baileys with Sunny Delight...it was quite shit enough already, thanks...

Back on-topic, someone who came 'round for drinkies the other night put on Skunk Anansie's first album - bloody hell, I'd forgotten how good that was. 
  • Dog Man Star... massively into it atm. I think we were a bit spoiled for choice back then so some albums seemed a bit ordinary...plus I was listening to Zeppelin obsessively so I was a bit one eyed.

I also listened to Us and Us Only the other week after Jon Brookes' passing. I got that and the third Supergrass album on the same day (seem to remember them being out on the same week but might be wrong).. corkers both.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited September 2013

Paul Rodgers, Muddy Water Blues.

I loved it when it came out (early 90s), with it's line-up of different guitarists (Beck, Gilmour, Slash, May, etc etc) but haven't really listened to the whole thing for years. I had it on in the car so I had to play "stop the guitarst" without the album sleeve.

Great stuff for a modern(ish) take on what is literally a whole album of blues standards. Great voice, great playing, but it does all sound just a little bit dated.

• The Meices - Tastes Like Chicken

Seriously great album not listenined to it for a few years, well worth your consideration. 

I am loving being back into having a hifi on and listening to full albums, I have pretty much ditched music files now, they are just too convenient. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    edited September 2013
    Michael Jackson - Off the wall.
    Music I grew up to and love. I can't stand most of his later stuff but my God this is good. It really takes me back.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Deadman;44263" said:
    Michael Jackson - Off the wall.
    Music I grew up to and love. I can't stand most of his later stuff but my God this is good. It really takes me back.

+1

Great album, just as good as "thriller" in my view.
    Excellent bass as well.

• bertie;39307" said:
    jaygtr said:

My wife put " odelay" by beck on at the weekend. 17 years old 

your wife is 17 years old ?  

crikey
    ' seventeen and natures queen, you know what I mean' - this was on the radio earlier. I hope Operation Yewtree are looking at the past members of UFO.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Just been listening to Ronnie Wood's Now Look album - sounds like it was recorded in his living room by someone who, quite frankly, was new to mixing. F#*@ing brilliant!
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Inspiral Carpets - Revenge of the Goldfish

Forgotten how great this album is, full of great beats and basslines. great memories.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited October 2013
    'Baby's Got A Gun' by The Only Ones. I've always liked the songs on this, their 'weaker' third album, but tended to listen to the first two.
    Listened to the whole of 'BGAG' yesterday for the first time in ages and loved it.

• Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar.
    Have been on a bit of a Mozfest of late, but this is always the album I come back to thinking "Hmm, not bad but there were a couple of duffers on there.." Nope, not true - great album through and through: