Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

ES-335 Studio

What's Hot
I hadn't noticed these before, but man that's grim..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited September 2013
    Some will love them. I wouldn't give one to me worst enemy.

That said, if it was TV Yellow.....
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16661
    I would love the idea if they sorted the neck join out properly... that plate would be a deal breaker for me
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I'm really not feeling the love for this one. [-(

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Agreed. Hardware looks awful, and whatever's going on where the neck joins makes the bridge pickup look like it's too far forward.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    There's a 339 of sorts too:

Slightly less shit-looking than the 335 IMO, still no oil painting though...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I had to laugh at MR's line in their review:

"The frills have been discarded so that you, the humble punter, can afford this guitar and still get the full Gibson experience......."

What a load of bollocks.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Is it me or is one of the best things about a 335 the neck pickup? So wtf would I want one that doesn't have a neck pickup...

Nil point from me.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Is it me or is one of the best things about a 335 the neck pickup? So wtf would I want one that doesn't have a neck pickup...

Nil point from me.
    This is exactly what I was just going to say.  Seems a bizarre choice but clearly indicates their target customer.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • JookyChap said:

This is where the WOW/WISDOM/FACEPALM buttons have their limitations.  Jooky is wise whilst that guitar deserves a facepalm.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    The annoying thing is that this could have been awesome and that there's an established template.

I've got an Epiphone Dot Studio (white, black binding, all black hardware, stripped back two knob electrics) and a Gibson branded, USA built version of that would be fabulous...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    JookyChap said:

It's a bit shit looking.
  • not sure how they've managed it but everything looks like it's in the wrong place, total trainwreck...

• The trouble Gibson have is they're desperate to offer something at every price point for every model. They tried with the ES-333 and faded ES-335 and they both stole too many sales from the proper ES-335. The ES-339 did the same, so they put its price up so it would be seen as a sideways step rather than downward. Now there's this, which noone in their right mind would buy if they really wanted a proper 335. So it ticks that box. Unfortunately it also ticks the ugly/pointless/meh box that means it won't sell at all. 

If they'd done the same thing but with a neck pickup and stopbar it'd be a much better prospect. Equally, if they did a single-P90 version with wraparound bridge and called *that* a Junior, they'd be a damn lot better off IMO
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • It looks like they've put the template of the 339 on the 335, like the controls, pickups and bridge have huddled together for safety.
    edited September 2013
    The biggest problem for me is that you've got a large body with no hollow loveliness, what is the point of that? It completely defeats the object of the big body. I love one/bridge pickup only guitars but again this, in this guise, is just bollocks.
  • Deadman said:
    The biggest problem for me is that you've got a large body with no hollow loveliness, what is the point of that? It completely defeats the object of the big body. I love one/bridge pickup only guitars but again this, in this guise, is just bollocks.
    It's still hollow- just no f-holes.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    Trent reznor has been using on of these at recent NIN shows. Didn;t know what it was but that it looks cheap and rubbish. Now that i know what it is I think it looks cheap and rubbish.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like a piece of shit to me.

An expensive piece at that.
    Deadman said:
    It's still hollow- just no f-holes.
    Even worse. I'd have to cut some out meself! Unbelievable.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    not sure how they've managed it but everything looks like it's in the wrong place, total trainwreck...
    I totally aggree. You have to give them props form getting it quite so wrong.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.