what to do in Edinburgh?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Going to Edinburgh with my Girlfriend for a few days, i'm 17 shes 16. Got family we are staying with, anything you guys would reccomend? We're both rock/metal fans, and love horror etc. Edinburgh dungeon worth a shot? Surgeons house museum is shut unfortunately.
Moved to OT
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dungeon is quite good.
    Camera obscura ain't bad either.
    Red Dog Music in grassmarket is good... ;-)
    My top tip- Get a 24hr ticket for the tour busses- get on & off wherever you like & find out about the city as you go. You'll cover more ground & not wear your legs out!

The museum of Scotland is HUGE, free & always open. Great on a rainy day.

Arthur's Seat/Calton Hill are both good for views (if the weather is decent).

I love the Botanic Gardens (which is on the tour route- but is a hike from the centre otherwise).
  • Calton Hill and Arthur's Seat are good if you like a bit of the great outdoors.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Oh, & there are ghost tours most nights some will take you into the vaults under the High St (Royal Mile). Definitely sound up your street.
    They advertise near St Giles Cathedral.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    We did a daytime (but still reckon dark underground) vaults tour. Good fun. Castle is good but a bit pricey. Walkup Arthur's Seat another good option. I had a broken toe so couldn't do that
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    I have only been to Edinburgh once.  I also went with my gf. 
    I got married there. 
    So be very careful and stay away from the registry office in Princes Street would be my advice.  I think the ghost tour would have been the better choice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Are you going by train?
    My V key is broken
  • If the weather is decent walk up Arthurs Seat. It's not very hard at all and you get spectacular views. If you're into horror / spooky things definitely do a ghost tour, there's loads of them based on the high st (the royal mile). A quick Google will throw up loads, probably choose based on the reviews. They're pretty much every evening / night. Museum of Scotland is great and completely free. If you're looking for a spot of refreshment check out Affogato on Queensferry St. The best ice cream you'll find outside Italy and very reasonably priced (for central Edinburgh). The camera obscura and the castle are pretty good, but quite pricey too. The zoo is really good, and if it's a nice day you get good views from the top of the hill. None of the guitar shops are desperately exciting. Guitarguitar is probably the best but it's way out of the city centre and so you'd probably need a major detour to visit it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    All of the above.
    I love Edinburgh. I want to move there some day.
    Princes Street gardens are lovely and the Scottish National Gallery is next door.
    The Princes Street shops are pretty identikit High Street though so go for a wander along Rose Street or go up to the Royal Mile via Cockburn Street. The Grassmarket is a lovely part of town, good pubs, cool shops (check out Mr Wood's Fossils) and Red Dog Music.
    I can recommend Mother India on Infirmary Street if you fancy trying some curries tapas style. If your budget can stretch to it then try and get a table in The Dome!

The one tourist thing I would say to not bother with is Our Dynamic Earth. It completely underwhelmed me and it wasn't cheap.

• barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited October 2014
    The Skinny can be worth checking for what's on. [Scroll Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dundee/Manchester/Liverpool.]
    @Hertz32 when are you going?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15926

I think Edinburger uni has either Burke or Hare's skull/napper on show........if you don't know who Burke and Hare is Google for info...perfect for Halloween Bro

16 and 17 eh?  :)

tae be or not tae be
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I quite fancy going to Prague.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    Edinburgh was the 1st place ever where I saw an offie where the booze was all kept behind a cage and you got served through a little hatch. Quite the eye opener it was.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Edinburgh is a great city for rock/metal.

Cockburn street is worth a look for the shops and whatnot, clothes records etc.

If you're old enough looking to get into pubs then try opium, banshee labyrinth, jekyll and hydes, possibly the mission if its still going..
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    @Holnrew @DiscoStu yeah, 7pm train from Kings X tomorrow

Brilliant suggestians guys! I'd heard of Opium and pending time of arrival may try to get in for rockeoke, which can only end well.
    Ghost tour definately sounds on the cards, as does cockburn st.
    May try and get into red dog music, and will probably head to the Zoo at some point, guitarguitar is directly opposite so may manage to fit them both in. (Gf is highly tolerant of guitars and gear shops. Thank you god!)
    Will check out the skinny later :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    I did a ghost tour a few years ago but I couldn't tell you who with. It started in the Royal Mile then went in to the vaults inside one of the bridges (I think?) on Blackfriars Street. Pretty cool!

Can you get in to pubs?
    You might get some metal in Bannermans, down on Cowgate. My mate's band used to play in there.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    +400
    Grunfeld said:
    +400
    I'll see your +400 and raise you another +400!
  • Guitarguitar isn't opposite the zoo I'm afraid! It's reasonably nearby but still a bit of a trek.