Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mr Brightside

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Thank for the files mate. Let me know when you are in Ireland, there is a pint of Guinness waiting for you....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I downtune the B string to A and tune the G string to G#. This makes the chords a lot easier to finger as they follow the lay of your hand so to speak. I don't bother with the open high E string and so far no one's noticed.
    I also put a capo on the 2nd fret to save stretching for the low F# in the bridge.

It ends up looking like this:
    E-A-D-G#-A-E
    x-17-16-18-19-x 
    x-16-16-18-19-x
    15-x-16-18-19-x
  • Rocker;42677" said:
    Thank for the files mate. Let me know when you are in Ireland, there is a pint of Guinness waiting for you....
    No worries dude you are very welcome. If I make it over I will take you up on that.

Were any of the others of use to you too?

I will leave it shared for a while just in case you never got all you wanted.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
    tFB Trader
    Hmm I've spoken to the band and apparently they play it in the original key, but in standard tune which suggests to me their guitarist probably plays it wrong as it's got loads of open strings. 

To that end and because I'm not going to bring an Eb tuned guitar I've decided I'm going to play it wrong as well. 

To that end I'm playing it with a bar on the 9th fret:
    X-X-11-10-X-9
    X-X-11-10-X-11
    X-X-10-10-X-9
    X-X-10-10-X-11
    X-9-X-10-X-9
    X-9-X-10-X-11

It's not right, but it's closeish, easy enough to play and doesn't require me to fart about with tuning when I've got a whole set to learn.
  • It's not right, but it's closeish, easy enough to play and doesn't require me to fart about with tuning when I've got a whole set to learn.
    You should get a LPX, then worrying about tunings will be a thing of the past. :D
    tFB Trader
    You should get a LPX, then worrying about tunings will be a thing of the past. :D
    Sod that. 

My whole approach to gigging is to have the minimum number of things to remember and having a guitar which might be in various tunings at any one moment is a recipe for disaster!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371

fair doo's its a pig!

really struggling with this one.

• Does it actually go down well?

I noticed it featured quite often in the old "covers bands set-list" thread, but i'd never really considered it for our lot. 

Is it a sure fire all feet to the dance floor crowd pleaser? 
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    Noticed this thread and had a go at learning this, @keithf is right its an absolute pig!

And how do you make the transition to the 3-X-5-7-5-0?! my hand is in knots!
    tFB Trader
    Does it actually go down well?

I noticed it featured quite often in the old "covers bands set-list" thread, but i'd never really considered it for our lot. 

Apparently so. I suggested dropping it at the dep ig I'm doing due to the confusion and they said it's an absolute cast iron hit. 
  • not_the_dj;45626" said:

The only things that beat it for sudden dancefloor capacity explosions are Chelsea Dagger and Sex on Fire in my experience
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371

I'm amazed that the fella who wrote it took the time to perfect it,

it must have fallen under his fingers when he was jamming.

• keithf;45652" said:
    I'm amazed that the fella who wrote it took the time to perfect it,

it must have fallen under his fingers when he was jamming.
    Apparently, he's a very well qualified jazz guitarist, rather than your average ham fisted rocker :)

There were accurate tabs on a website, I learnt it. It was definitely in flats.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    The initial guitar line was written before the rest of the song- before he and Brandon Flowers even met if you believe the official story. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I agree with bluenose regarding using a LP . I had to play it on one so it was quick and easy to detune the top E half a step which I couldn't do on my Strat. Also with it being a shorter scale, that made it more comfortable. I hold my hands up, I also shortened my strap a little ha ha
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038

Yes.  It is reliable.  It is very useful for bringing the energy up.  It feels a bit weird thinking of using music for psychological manipulation of a crowd's energy but I guess that's what we're doing. 

So yes, it works.  There's no other reason for enduring the practice it takes to play it cleanly.

Oh, and we've found that playing it at 140 bpm (even 135 bpm) works very well too.  Not only is it a wee bit easier to play at a slower tempo but it seems a bit more dance floor friendly too than the 150 bpm of the original.  Just sort of slightly less "rushed".