Shadow Classic Parametric Pro problems...

p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
Hi folks, I have the above system fitted to a Faith Venus, it works perfectly and sounds great, however it eats batteries.
It'll get through a new Duracell PP3 in about 3 hours, and it can kill one in about a week when the guitar is unplugged and in its case.
Any ideas or obvious things to check?
Cheers, Julian
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited October 2014
    It's got a short somewhere by the sound of it, or some component which is drawing too much current. It's nothing simple like the switch in the jack because that would explain the drain when the guitar is unplugged but not the short life when in use.

These things can a bugger to fix - or even find the exact problem - I can't remember for sure about that one but most of the modern preamps use surface-mount components which really limits the repair options... very likely to just replacing the preamp.

There is a really good reason I hate onboard electronics in guitars. Actually more than one, this is just the biggest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Ok, cheers, I suspected as much. I have a couple of outboard acoustic preamps so I may just wire the under saddle pickup straight to the jack.
    Some of the Shadow preamps run on phantom power too, I have no idea if this is one of them and have had no luck finding a manual online. Do you reckon it would be safe to just try it and see what happens?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    I think so, in theory anything with an XLR should be capable of accepting phantom power with no harm even if it doesn't then run on it.

But that's theory…! Still, if it's knackered anyway you don't have a lot to lose - I'm pretty sure phantom power outlets are short-circuit protected.

Pickup and jack only is the way to go in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Thanks, will give it a go.