Talk me out of this headstock idea

What's Hot
I have a gspbasses neck en route to me for a strat.

This means it's going to be top, top quality.

I'm considering doing a matching headstock finish on it because they're cool (right?) which would involve sanding the old finish off it. No biggy...

Then today, while looking for a socket set, I noticed some glittery paint pens that give a silver sparkle effect and I thought...

"I could sign it".

It would look shite and ruin a beautiful neck. Talk me out of it?

Has anyone used one of these pens before? I can't remember what they're called, but they're made for metal work - it's not just glue and glitter I don't think...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Do please try it on a different bit of wood first. And then, if you must, do it on the BACK of the headstock.

But, frankly, if you do it on the front, and you decide you don't like it, or you don't like everyone telling you it looks even more hideous than the latest Les Paul signature, then it's not going to be impossible to refinish the headstock, is it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV;393289" said:
    KILL IT WITH FIRE

that's basically what I want to avoid. ;)
    mart;393288" said:
    Do please try it on a different bit of wood first. And then, if you must, do it on the BACK of the headstock.

But, frankly, if you do it on the front, and you decide you don't like it, or you don't like everyone telling you it looks even more hideous than the latest Les Paul signature, then it's not going to be impossible to refinish the headstock, is it.
    Yup, I'd definitely have a tester piece of wood for it, see how it looks.

I'm almost certainly going for the matching headstock idea, though. Because... They're awesome.
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited October 2014
    And I have no doubt whatever you could do better than this... ;-)

It's rough, it's not ready, but I like it anyway, cos I'm like that. :-D

(All that dust really is embarrassing, though. :\">)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    ^ The really hilarious thing is that that's actually *less* amateurish than the Gibson attempt…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I did one for the hell of it, I painted and then lacquered the head, then used a gold pen to add the lettering, then if I decide to remove it, a quick rub with 1k wet n dry and it will be gone.......I like it, who cares what anyone else thinks, its my axe.......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBM;393436" said:
    ^ The really hilarious thing is that that's actually *less* amateurish than the Gibson attempt…
    Second that!

Oh Gibson. It's like they want to go out of business. Or maybe they just want to see what they can get away with, who knows?

I will refin the headstock first, and see how it looks matching the body (I'm guessing it'll look the nuts :) ) then I'll see how brave I'm feeling.

I have a signature that would suit the 3 per side headstock, and I could sign in a way that suits the 6 in line. Maybe.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Matching headstock? Yes, definitely.

Scribbled signature? I say don't do it.

How about getting a Fender style typeface decal in your name knocked up. There a few places that will do them.

This is on my own Cabronita build:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That does look much better, actually. I think, if I got mine right, it could look good but I'd almost certainly bugger it up :)

Perhaps a better choice then - wisdom awarded.
    I used Rothko and Frost for mine and buggered it up. Buggered up the second one I ordered in replacement too! I emailed R&F in desperation and they insisted on sending me a third one free of charge but this time with a bit of lacquer sprayed over the top, this makes it much more forgiving when applying.

If you go R&F then ask for this. They have great customer service.
  • How do you use them? Silly question?
    They are water slide, so you dip them in Luke warm water for 20 seconds or so, then place it on the headstock and slide the backing paper away from underneath whilst keeping the very thin clear top layer containing the logo intact. Then leave to dry and then worth spraying a thin coat or two of clear coat to "lock it in".

They come with instructions, and trust me, if I can do it, you can.
  • dindude;393570" said:
    They are water slide, so you dip them in Luke warm water for 20 seconds or so, then place it on the headstock and slide the backing paper away from underneath whilst keeping the very thin clear top layer containing the logo intact. Then leave to dry and then worth spraying a thin coat or two of clear coat to "lock it in".

Cool, I'll get a few :p
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i personally like the glitter pen idea...its ghetto...but its personal, and thats what makes it cool.

i did it on my old pedalboard...

• samzadgan;393629" said:
    i personally like the glitter pen idea...its ghetto...but its personal, and thats what makes it cool. i did it on my old pedalboard... 
    But you have a really cool signature.

Mine looks a bit like that symbol in the Blair witch project (could look good on a 3 aside headstock, though!).
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    This is a waterslide decal (from www.guitardecals.co.uk) applied to my GSP neck

Dead easy to apply, the above has a couple of layers of Wudtone clear over it. You can see the outline of the decal from certain angles, but I'm happy enough with it :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Leave it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe;394196" said:
    Leave it!
    Y u no lyk matching headstock?
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    dindude;393570" said:

Cool, I'll get a few :p
    Be sure to trim around it though, because the transparent border will still be a little visible under the right (or wrong) light, so if it's a big rectangle it'll be noticeable. Where as nicely contoured it should look okay.