Annoying punters at gigs.

What's Hot

Comments

• RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    Don't you just love the guy that come up at half time or after the gig...." You know (insert song) well I don't play it like that....." GRRRR and the ones that INSIST on standing in the doorway when you are trying to get stuff out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26569
    How about "Annoying walk-ins at rehearsals"?

We just had a bit of an off-night, but this damn kid kept walking in with his girlfriend and taking photos. Then he told me he's now the band photographer (nobody had ever met him before), and that we had to play our first gig at one of the pubs within walking distance of his house so he could do the photos (errr...no). To cap it off, he kept pestering me to let him do "guest vocals" on one of our songs. Apart from the fact that we've only got three songs written, I kept an open mind and asked which band he was from - presuming that he'd be well-known if he had the balls to ask that of a band who've never met him before - to which the response was, "Oh, I've never been in a band. I do proper screamo vocals <emphasis mine> and there aren't any bands round here who can handle that."

Errr....do fuck off and stop wasting our time.

Jeez.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    How about playing Romford (fucking shitehole of a place) for no money whatsoever and having "arse raper!" screamed at you by a red-headed lout-bitch for 20 minutes as you packed up the gear and headed home.

Haven't played there since. Heh.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    Wow! Strange!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited August 2013
    ragingben said:
    "Know-it-all" sound guys who know shit drive me mad too. 

I've met a few of those. The more attitude they have, the worse they are. And that's not a generality, it's a strict rule which has been proved true every time.

My favourites;

The one that miked up the bit of wooden baffle between my two speakers and kept on telling me to turn up/ brighter.

The one that explained he couldn't mic up my two amp setup because of something called "Phase", and that our singer couldn't go into the audience because of a thing called "Feedback".

The one that asked what the controls do on my amp so he could set it up for me.

And the one that spent an hour sound checking us and 45 minutes insisting our bassist's speakers were blown when it was his shit PA distorting.

As for annoying punters at gigs, they've tended to be the ones that turn into fans so I've just learned to smile benignly and laugh when they do.
  • Roaster said:
     the ones that INSIST on standing in the doorway when you are trying to get stuff out.
    BINGO! We have a winner.

It is a constant source of frustration to me that, when politely asked to excuse us so we can get through, people in the doorway* move the tiniest fraction - I mean, you could barely call it a shrug, never mind an actual step - and then as soon as you are through, they sink back to where they were before you asked them to move...and so this farce repeats itself for every single piece of kit we have to take in and out of the venue.

*(seriously, your cigarette will not automatically extinguish itself if you move away from the immediate vicinity of the doorway, you bell end)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    How about playing Romford (fucking shitehole of a place) for no money whatsoever and having "arse raper!" screamed at you by a red-headed lout-bitch for 20 minutes as you packed up the gear and headed home.
    And headed home?! Was she running along side your van/car, banging on the window, and shouting at you? I'm laughing just thinking about it.

@Drew_fx, On a slight aside, did you spend the rest of the evening with the lady?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    @ roaster and @rocknrolldave - I know I haven't got the gig time in that some folks have but I haven't done a gig ( post smoking ban anyway) where the standing in the doorway thing hasn't been an issue. I was knackered, I was sweaty, I was struggling to carry stuff, there were 6 of us coming and going with PA, drums, lights, amps,etc,etc, and yet they continue to hang onto the doorway, fag in hand, for dear life rather than move a few feet away for 20 minutes. I just don't get it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    @Drew_fx , wait a minute, I get it. Is "arse raper!" one of your songs that she was expecting to hear?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    @roaster - clearly no spaces allowed ( edit function doesn't work when I am at work).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    I just make sure I aim for them with anything heavy and castored Eric, they soon move once they get the obligatory "excuse me" and BANG...ohhh sorry....heh heh
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235

Few years ago mate of mine was playing bass in a pub band in London.

Throughout the first set a bloke in the audience was heckling, shouting how he could do better. At the start of the next set, bloke started again. Singer said ok smartarse, get up here and do better.

Up stepped Lemmy and a great night was had by all!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited August 2013
    Roaster;16800" said:
    I just make sure I aim for them with anything heavy and castored Eric, they soon move once they get the obligatory "excuse me" and BANG...ohhh sorry....heh heh
    This.

I always found a well aimed metal edged/cornered flight case did the trick, shins or gonads worked best.

As Eric stated though after the smoking ban it was pretty much every gig.

But I hasten to add this was reserved mainly for frequent flyers who continually repeated their error, for others less annoying standing on a toe or two whilst holding a heavy bit of gear worked well.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    Standing in the doorway, yes! But better than that are the ones who then actually congregate right by the only way on/off the stage. You make it very clear that things are being packed away as the lights are taken down, everything put into cases and ready to be moved and before you can even get near a blocked doorway there are at least 2 people - usually mid-rambling conversation on inane topics - who flat out refuse to acknowledge any peripheral vision or spatial awareness and stay firmly planted where they are.

The ones who come up to discuss gear but more to tell you what they have rather than being genuinely interested in your setup (or any other for that matter), for instance:
    "What amp was that you were using mate?"
    "A Soldano HR50"
    "Soll.......dado?? Haven't ever heard of them but I've got a Marshall at home I have, one of those big MGs with all the built in effects, sounds cracking! What was the guitar, I couldn't see it really?"
    "Tom Anderson"
    *blank expression* - "nah, never heard of them but I've got a Strat I have, a proper made in USA one"

• Drew_fx said:

Haven't played there since. Heh.
    I am not surprised you haven't played there since!

Seriously..."raper"..?! What kind of grammar is that?! "Rapist, dear", you should have retorted.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26569
    The ones who come up to discuss gear but more to tell you what they have rather than being genuinely interested in your setup (or any other for that matter), for instance:
    "A Soldano HR50"
    "Soll.......dado?? Haven't ever heard of them but I've got a Marshall at home I have, one of those big MGs with all the built in effects, sounds cracking! What was the guitar, I couldn't see it really?"
    "Tom Anderson"
    *blank expression* - "nah, never heard of them but I've got a Strat I have, a proper made in USA one"

Hehe...not as bad as the very similar conversation that I regularly end up having with guys who come up to me thinking that they know everything about gear yet have never heard of the people who make mine.

"Jaden Rose? Why are you playing a cheap Chinese guitar at gigs? You want to get yourself a Les Paul, mate..."

<slap>
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    To a blues band - "Can you play some Pink Floyd?"

To a country-rock trio - "Can you play some Pink Floyd?"

Weekend before last, played "Breathe", "Time", "Us & Them"...

"Can you play Mustang Sally?"
    I put a Police covers band together a few years ago and while doing a local gig we were asked to play "Sultans of Swings" by a slightly inebriated punter a couple of times. :D 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Was expecting it last Friday, played a motorcycle club (big nasty hairy looking fuckers, and their blokes....) outdoor weekend campy thing 'Blues' festival. We're not a blues band, so had to 'bluesify' some rock tracks. Thankfully went down well as we're rebooked for next year. 

The classic was two at the same gig, Friday night at The Old Fox, Felling, Gateshead, place packed out. Playing away in the first set, blokes at the back shouting "TUNE YA FUCKIN GUITARS UP!!!" throughout. Bit of panic as I was wielding my Gretsch with a Bigsby, frantic tuning between tracks. The shouting continued. My fault, bit deaf in one ear, they were shouting "TURN YA FUCKIN GUITARS UP!!!".

Second set, two old anorexic grannies sitting right at the back for the whole gig. One track came to its conclusion, and after the applause etc, a well timed, as quiet descended, from the pair of 'em in unison, dryly, 'That was SHIT".

Fucking class. Nearly bought the piss soaked pair a drink. Came to me senses.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392 said:

Few years ago mate of mine was playing bass in a pub band in London.

Throughout the first set a bloke in the audience was heckling, shouting how he could do better. At the start of the next set, bloke started again. Singer said ok smartarse, get up here and do better.

Up stepped Lemmy and a great night was had by all!!

Did Mr K get a cut off the pay?
  • The ones who come up to discuss gear but more to tell you what they have rather than being genuinely interested in your setup (or any other for that matter), for instance:
    "A Soldano HR50"
    "Tom Anderson"

Hehe...not as bad as the very similar conversation that I regularly end up having with guys who come up to me thinking that they know everything about gear yet have never heard of the people who make mine.

"Jaden Rose? Why are you playing a cheap Chinese guitar at gigs? You want to get yourself a Les Paul, mate..."

<slap>

I think I told this story over on the forum that must not be named, but I was accosted by a drunk chick at the end of a gig and told my amp (peavey classic 30) and guitar (axis super sport) sounded shite and I should get a "good fender" or a Les Paul because those are what her man played and he knew all about guitars. I only tolerated it as her friend was beautiful but it turned out they were all married to musicians.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky