new PRS S2 standard models

What's Hot

Comments

• Good move by PRS.  Though it doesn't say if the Standard 22 and 24 will have trems or hardtails.

Now they just need to re-release the CE! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited October 2014
    Ok I found them on the PRS site.  I don't like the pick guards but other than that nice to see an option for an all mahogany US PRS again.  More pics of the other colours on the webpages, just scroll down to the bottom.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    They look great. 

Nice to see the S2s getting some identity rather than just being a cheapo coreline.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    edited October 2014
    I'm assuming terms only as its only option listed in the specs. I like the looks and would be interested in trying the standard 24. They looked to be priced cheaper than the original S2's too. I'll take this one
    http://www.prsguitars.com/s2series/img/colors/st24_sg.jpg
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Oooo, now that's right up my street.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • or buy a second hand core PRS and get proper hardware rather than knock off hardware - still dont see the appeal of these when you can get a SE model for a lot less
    sunshinewelly;395977" said:
    or buy a second hand core PRS and get proper hardware rather than knock off hardware - still dont see the appeal of these when you can get a SE model for a lot less
    Play one then compare to an SE. Plus there's nothing in the "core" line like this except maybe the Brent mason or nf series
  • Look like they've taken a decent SE model, then accidentally butchered it with a router and covered the gash up with a dodgy knock off scratchplate from an old SG.

Or did I just describe the "Mira".  Isn't that just a test track for cars?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I was quite interested in a new s2 model but those scratchplates are hideous....  I'm out.

I'll stick to looking out for an older eg model as my next PRS
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    or buy a second hand core PRS and get proper hardware rather than knock off hardware
    Indeed.  Used full-fat models make way more sense than these abominations.
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    or buy a second hand core PRS and get proper hardware rather than knock off hardware
    Indeed.  Used full-fat models make way more sense than these abominations.
    That may be the case, but it's not really a business model for PRS. 

If you want to compare apples to apples how much is a SH S2 Standard going to be in a year or two?

Methinks a price that will make it a very appealing backup guitar even including the price of a couple of Oil Cities.
    I understand why PRS have introduced these guitars, but I can't see who their target buyer is other than the person who HAS to buy new.  On every level they're an inferior product and only marginally 'better' than an SE.

In the £600 used price bracket there's a lot of choices for a backup guitar, and even as a huge PRS fan/user I would go for something else over an S2 every time.

tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    I understand why PRS have introduced these guitars, but I can't see who their target buyer is other than the person who HAS to buy new.  On every level they're an inferior product and only marginally 'better' than an SE.

In the £600 used price bracket there's a lot of choices for a backup guitar, and even as a huge PRS fan/user I would go for something else over an S2 every time.

I'm not sure I can think of many things I'd rather have if I was looking at that style of guitar. 

What would you be looking at?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Twinfan said:
    I understand why PRS have introduced these guitars, but I can't see who their target buyer is other than the person who HAS to buy new.  

Eh? PRS sell new guitars...so how can their target market be anything other than people who buy new guitars.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Off the top of my head: Tokai/Burny/Orville/Signature LPs, PRS CEs, EVH and Peavey Wolfgangs, Japanese Jacksons etc.
    Well people in their thousands buy brand new SE models, why not entice just a fraction more out of their pockets for a USA made model?
    Having played an S2 it is remarkably close to the USA models for playability and intonation, pickups not as good but I'd rather buy an S2 than an SE. These new standards don't compete with the core line. I like the looks of them and for the money I hope they'll be going for seem like a viable alternative to other guitars I've had my eye on buying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Do we have an indication of UK pricing?

In the US they are the same as a Mira so I guess about a grand in the UK?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    monquixote;396139" said:
    Twinfan said:

I'm not sure I can think of many things I'd rather have if I was looking at that style of guitar. 

What would you be looking at?
    You can get a Mira (original) for £800, there's one on classified atm.
    edited October 2014
    monquixote;396164" said:
    Do we have an indication of UK pricing?

In the US they are the same as a Mira so I guess about a grand in the UK?
    A dealer who's placed his orders has said MRRP is £999
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24799
    edited October 2014
    At around a grand, these are about the same price as an American Standard Strat - that doesn't strike me as expensive - and I actually like the aesthetics. They strike me as the antidote to what PRS-haters object to.

The only S2 I have ever played was a Starla and I was really impressed with it. It rang like a bell and played really well.

I hope they do well with these.