new PRS S2 standard models

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'm interested, if only as a cheaper modding platform to go alongside a main guitar. I don't doubt that they're perfectly decent main guitars in their own rights, the few I've played have been really good - particularly the Custom 22 Semi-Hollow, but at brand new prices I'd rather buy a used full spec equivalent.

That said, when these start coming up used... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I don't get the amount of dislike for the S2 models either - I was tempted to buy a semi-hollow one in the GV sale a few weeks ago but the discount didn't match my budget.

I quite like new guitars as well as used ones (I've bought 3 new prs) so apart from the bevelled top vs a full arch top everything is near enough and they make a lot more sense than a new SE model.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    John_P said:
    I don't get the amount of dislike for the S2 models either 
    I wonder if some people see it as devaluing the brand?

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited October 2014
    not_the_dj;396203" said:
    You may be right - but I just don't get it.

Les Paul Juniors didn't devalue Gibson - and 'student' Fenders are considered cool.

It seems to me that PRS are capable of irritating some people whatever they do; too dear - only for dentists, too cheap - devalues the brand....

Bizarre - the Goldilocks PRS remains elusive....
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Goldilocks prs = dgt imho
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    John_P said:

I don't know if you're referring to me, but I see the S2s as parts bin specials- lower spec hardware and multi piece bodies/necks built to a price point and made to look fugly.  A bit like what Gibson did a few years back with their really low spec LPs etc, and they didn't stand the test of time...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Twinfan said:
    John_P said:

I don't know if you're referring to me, but I see the S2s as parts bin specials- lower spec hardware and multi piece bodies/necks built to a price point and made to look fugly.  A bit like what Gibson did a few years back with their really low spec LPs etc, and they didn't stand the test of time...
    No I wasn't referring to you directly, but everytime the S2 line are mentioned the same discussion seems to happen so you're certainly not alone in your view of them. 

If you don't like them that's fine, it's all personal taste, although calling them an abomination is a bit much (that bit was referring to you directly). 

They're well built decent spec'd guitars. Compare them with guitars at a lower price point and work up the range, rather than looking down from the top spec ones. There's a massive gap in the PRS range and the S2 line sits nicely in that. I think there is a market for these, much like there is a market for Les Paul Studios. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They sure are ugly though
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

I have to disagree with my friend Twinfan and say I like the S2 models, but then I'm always drawn to fairly plain, basic guitars.

They are (IMO) a significant step up from the SE models, they may not be pretty but they feel like much better guitars.

Personally I wish they'd placed them a little higher upmarket - I'm fine with the cost savings on woodworking and finishing, but I do think they should have US pickups and hardware.

Looking at these new models, I'm not keen on the S2 Standard 22 or 24, but I really like the  S2 Singlecut Standard, even though it's not a million miles from the Starla.  The scratchplate suits it, it's ugly-cool like a Gibson Corvus!  

:)
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I know you like 'em Phil, sorry for any umbrage taken  ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    None at all Dave, healthy debate!  ;)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    They look good because they are honest and don't look like frilly underwear like the other stuff...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Bit of a thread resurrection but the new pics make these look sexy in my eyes

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/images.asp?SKU=14110616215358
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2353
    grungebob said:
    Bit of a thread resurrection but the new pics make these look sexy in my eyes

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/images.asp?SKU=14110616215358

That does look nice.

Strange though, with all the 'Standard' marketing, that the truss rod cover says 'Custom'.  Unintentionally backing up @TwinFan's parts bin perception :D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom