Any Taylor Big Baby Users Out There

What's Hot
Fancy one of these for acoustic side project because a) it's a Taylor and b) every review I read says they are supremely playable and c) they are quite cheap!!

I'd love to hear the thoughts of any users - especially if you play it live - as that's what I'd be doing
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    I ve got one ( for sale at the moment , actually ) . Too be honest their great. Very nice neck, feels more electric than acoustic. One thing I would say is it's not the loudest of guitars but it's fairly well balanced. However all in all they are great for the money.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    The GS Mini e is well worth a look. Very usable on board electrics and a really nice acoustic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    I have a similar sized acoustic the mini Martin (actually a sigma version) size wise and playability wise I find it a bit restrictive but.... It's very easy to play and the closest thing to an electric in terms of playability. I imagine the baby Taylor is the same.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Sold mine to fund a GS Mini, but would have kept it if I had the space. The chap I sold it to recently bought another guitar off me and every time I see him he gushes over how much he loves the Big Baby. Utterly incredible guitars for the money. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The big baby is great. very good recording guitar
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited November 2014
    I've had one for maybe 8 or 9 years now and I still really dig it. Yeah the screws on the board are unsightly to some but I actually like that, maybe I'm just saying that because I like the guitar's playability and tone.

Anyways, mine sounds like this:

Game of Thrones:
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited November 2014
    Deijavoo said:
    ... Yeah the screws on the board are unsightly to some ...
    What screws? And what board? :-S
  • I love that video
    Excuse the gunk the flash shows...ahem

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @deijavoo

Genuinely - what's the action and playability like if you were to consider it to be used by a hamfisted Strat playing Luddite like me for live duo work

I'm seriously close to pulling the trigger one one but like all acoustics I've ever owned, I'm terrified that I'll hate it!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I've tried a couple and thought they were very playable - definitely have more of an electric feel with a small neck.

I'd love a GS mini e and at some point I'll grab one I suspect.
    See I find the neck very slim, very easy to play too. One thing I will say and I'm not trying to piss on your chips here, I tried a few next to each other and one was pretty poor. Probably just needed a good set up but I'm hopeless with that stuff so I just went for the one that sounded and felt best at the time.
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    The neck reminds me of a prs se , I had.
  • Deijavoo;408608" said:
    See I find the neck very slim, very easy to play too. One thing I will say and I'm not trying to piss on your chips here, I tried a few next to each other and one was pretty poor. Probably just needed a good set up but I'm hopeless with that stuff so I just went for the one that sounded and felt best at the time.
    Wrong answer bro!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Excellent guitars. Had one in the house for a long time. Really good for the cash. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Deijavoo said:
    Excuse the gunk the flash shows...ahem...
    Thanks for the pic. I must say I'm surprised they couldn't design an acoustic without putting screws through the fingerboard, since every other manufacturer on the entire planet seems to manage ... :)
  • mart;408664" said:
    Deijavoo said:

Excuse the gunk the flash shows...ahem...

Thanks for the pic. I must say I'm surprised they couldn't design an acoustic without putting screws through the fingerboard, since every other manufacturer on the entire planet seems to manage ... :)
    It's got a bolt on neck
    It's got a bolt on neck
    Er, you mean like my Strat does? ;)
  • Kinda
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Between the big baby and the GS Mini, I'd take the GS mini everyday of the week.  The GS mini has a "proper" Taylor neck joint, their NT neck, the Big Baby don't.  The GS Mini also has a relief rout between the top and the side to aid projection.  I am not sure the Big Baby has that.  The GS Mini is a very loud guitar for its size.