Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the first song you remember hearing?

RolandRoland Frets: 8702
edited September 2013 in Off Topic

Inspired by the "Ask you parents" thread.  What's the first song or piece of music that you remember hearing?

In my case it was "Jet Black".  At the age of 3 or 4 I realised that "songs" didn't have to have words.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3901
    'Bimbo' by Jim Reeves I think.
  • "Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall" if memory serves.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    From my parents it was 'Pop Goes The Weasel', but on the radio it was 'Little Children' by Billy J Kramer... whose lyrics sound strangely disturbing in our 'modern' era. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Something by Pinky and Perky, I expect

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Not actually a song, it was the theme tune from the Jimmy Young show on the radio, which my mum used to listen to.

Interestingly I just discovered that this was actually on Radio 1 - I always assumed it was Radio 2, but he didn't move to Radio 2 until 1973, and this must have been in the late 60s (I was born in '67)... so mum was maybe a bit more with-it than I thought ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• "Listen with Mother" on the Home Service with Daphne Oxenford. I'm sure they played the "Sugar Plum Fairy" (from the Nutcracker Suite?) more than once. We had a radio set in a bakelite case which took 2 minutes to warm up, it had VHF, Medium, and Long wave bands on it. I'd have been 3 or 4 at the time, 1960-1.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    People dancing to YMCA on the telly, probably in '88 or '89. I had a jam sandwich, but I think I gave it to my brother.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    in what context ?    on the radio ? tv ?  record player ?   live ?   mum singing to you ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Almost certainly some trad Irish folk.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    The first 'pop' song I remember liking was some cr*p called 'Rockerfella' (something like that) prob early 70s, and the singers were some cabaret guy and gal. Can't remember who now? The worst kind of cheese. In my defence I was young and they hadn't invented the sex pistols yet.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    axisus said:
    The first 'pop' song I remember liking was some cr*p called 'Rockerfella' (something like that) prob early 70s, and the singers were some cabaret guy and gal. Can't remember who now? The worst kind of cheese. In my defence I was young and they hadn't invented the sex pistols yet.
    It wil be THIS abomination!

It blighted my childhood too, courtesy of Junior Choice. One of the first ones I can remember was 'Mountain' by Donovan, which I used to play at 78 on my mam's old Dansette!
  • Simple Simon says IIRC.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    probably Laura Brannigan(?) self control. Or my sister listening to wham

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I don't.

I have a less than brilliant memory a lot of the time... and I remember virtually no details of my childhood... fragments, but nothing I could sift through to get a "first thing I heard/saw/ate" type memory out of...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Being the youngest of three brothers I can remember music from way back, certainly when my oldest brother bought Beatles singles. I was three when Help came out and I can clearly remember that. things like Watch with Mother, too, but I may well have been a few years older.

I can also remember Ronnie Hilton's song about the mouse in Old Amsterdam, probably when I was three or four as well.
  • First songs were the folks persian songs...first english speaking song was TNT by AC/DC closely followed by some Kiss song on their Unmasked tape (first tape i ever bought)...
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6482
    edited September 2013
    My daughter was born to the sound of Adele's at that time ubiquitous Someone Like You.

As for me, the earliest song I remember hearing is from a tape of Noddy In Toyland ("We're very disappointed in you" went the lyric, and possibly the title too, poor Noddy getting the blame for the naughty goblins' handiwork) but the one song that more than any other instantly transports me back to my childhood is Airport by The Motors. Google leads me to learn that it was a hit in 1978 (tallies with my memory of it being before my younger bro was around. He was born a year later.) I only ever recall hearing it in Tenby on holiday, coming from a funfair I was too young to have any interest in,  but as it was a big hit and the fair was right by our campsite, I reckon I heard it several times over the time we were there, so that the song and holiday are inseparable in my memory.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8702
    bertie said:
    in what context ? 
    Any, it's a question about your memory of music
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Johnny cash, as that was all that was played in my house, mainly by my father singing and playing them. But the first song that made me really take notice of music was, "one night" by Elvis. Played on an old Dansette record player, loud ! Still remember that tone today, must have been about 69-70 era time, as the radio was playing crap like Hey Jude and flower power stuff.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited September 2013
    Roland said:
    bertie said:
    in what context ? 
    Any, it's a question about your memory of music
    then I suspect most people would really, if they thought about it and were honest, actually remember their mum/dad/other family member singing to them than anything else.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.