Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Specific Acoustic under £1000

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
edited November 2014 in Acoustics
I'm seriously considering taking up Acoustic guitar so I've been looking about for something relatively affordable but with good build quality.

I've narrowed it down to what I'm looking for

*Solid woods, no laminates
*No pickup
*Satin finish, I don't like glossy acoustics
*Not too big
*Something that would suit finger picking

I've looked at Taylors but I'm struggling to find something that matches what I'm looking for. Any help? can be new or used.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Check out the Breedlove or Larrivee range. Both spectacular.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Martin 000-16GT.

They do have a gloss top - although not too shiny - but satin back, sides & neck.

Not *quite* under £1000 - most of the shops are listing them at £1079 - but that's not too far out, and you'd get a second hand or ex-demo one for less.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited November 2014
    I would have thought the newish Taylor 324 or 322, both mahogany top, tick a lot of your boxes. 

I have a now discontinued Taylor GA4 which has satin back and sides, gloss top, all solid, non electric. Cost a little over a grand two years ago and it's a belter.

Here's the 322, around £900, I love the look of it. In fact the Gas is quite string on this one, I must now stop looking.

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625

dindude said:
    I would have thought the newish Taylor 324 or 322, both mahogany top, tick a lot of your boxes. 

I have a now discontinued Taylor GA4 which has satin back and sides, gloss top, all solid, non electric. Cost a little over a grand two years ago and it's a belter.

Here's the 322, around £900, I love the look of it. In fact the Gas is quite string on this one, I must now stop looking.

This.....absolutely lovely, ticks so many boxes.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    You could check out a Martin 00015. Solid mahogany, smaller size and satin finish. You should easily find a used one for quite a lot less than your budget.

I was looking at these but ended up in a shop in Truro a couple of months ago whilst on holiday and walked out with an OM1GT, which is miles away from what I actually intended (similar check list to your own) but it sounded ace and I preferred it to a D15M burst and one or two others. Gloss top, stratabond neck (which I actually quite like) and richlite fingerboard, all seemed a bit meh, but as I say, it sounds lovely and that's what mattered to me more in the end!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I played a couple of those 322's recently against a 114ce and a 214ce Dlx, I have to say that as nice as the 322 was, the sound didn't quite cut it for me - plus the nut was fractionally narrower which made fingerpicking a bit tricky.

That said, the 214ce Dlx* was stunning; I've had a basic 214 before, but this has some upgrades in that the back & sides are gloss, and the pickup is from a higher model.... so probably not the guitar for you! :D

I personally wouldn't worry too much about laminatee sides, or even the back (depending on the bracing) but as long as the top is solid then you can sit safe in the knowledge that it'll only get better over time. :)

*I'm very tempted to buy one of the Koa ones soon ;)
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Budgie said:
    You could check out a Martin 00015. Solid mahogany, smaller size and satin finish. You should easily find a used one for quite a lot less than your budget.

I was looking at these but ended up in a shop in Truro a couple of months ago whilst on holiday and walked out with an OM1GT, which is miles away from what I actually intended (similar check list to your own) but it sounded ace and I preferred it to a D15M burst and one or two others. Gloss top, stratabond neck (which I actually quite like) and richlite fingerboard, all seemed a bit meh, but as I say, it sounds lovely and that's what mattered to me more in the end!
    ^ This. Get the 000-15M. It is solid wood (mahogany) and one of the smaller-bodied Martins. It is deceptively light and bright, even considering it is a 'parlour' style guitar and tends to have some muddy tones. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Furch/Stonebridge are definitely worth a look.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    I was playing a very nice Faith the other day and was very impressed (and tempted)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Larrivee all the way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    For me Japanese takamines rival any other :-)
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Could easily find a Martin 000-15M for that price. They are really excellent and sound great! 
  • If you're not keen on laminates, you should be aware that some lower-end Martins have Micarta fingerboards and bridges:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta

Personally I would rather have a solid wood fingerboard on a guitar with laminated back and sides, than a composite fingerboard and solid back and sides.

Is probably worth noting that many prized 'Westerley' Guilds had pressed laminate backs.

Taylor's Mexican lines (Baby, Big Baby, GS Mini, 100 & 200) are laminated but generally sound very good.
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Larrivee OM 02 or 03
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Take a trip out to Brno  :)>-
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • These are really nice all solid guitars for the money, and satin finished.

http://rguitars.co.uk/products/gs-20-cm-c

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2427
    edited November 2014
    I would second trying out a Furch.

The 20 series as suggested above is a Mahogany/Cedar combination and sounds wonderful, really nice for fingerstyle, or the 21 series is identical with an Ovankol/Spruce combination.

Both are under £1000, and AFAIK you can specify the neck width as well on a lot of the models.

Larrivee also seem to be highly rated at that price point, but I've not personally tried them.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    strtdv said:
    I would second trying out a Furch.
    I recommend a trip to Brno, the prices there are competative and you'll get to play a bunch of models in their showroom. Nice beer too!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    FelineGuitars;400912" said:
    I was playing a very nice Faith the other day and was very impressed (and tempted)
    Beat me to it, you've got to try a faith in whatever price range you're shopping in.

• I picked up an Alvarez masterworks MFA70, all solid, natural finish, fooled some real old time martin owners it was a lot for expensive than it is...
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management