Small footprint FX setup - should I go zoom or similar?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Megii said:

G3 owners - I am really interested in this unit, it's not just the enormous capability, and the fact it could cover any effects combination I might ever want, but also the considerable "extras" such as being a USB interface and recording device. I hadn't been thinking about that, but I have to admit it would be really useful for me. But can I just ask your honest opinion on the sound quality, given that some folks say that modelling gear imparts a digital, or "fake" kind of quality to a guitar tone. So, talking specifically about using the G3 in front of a guitar amp, how do you really find things? - is it

a) absolutely fine, no different in quality to a string of FX pedals...

b) good - on a par with decent pedals, but different. Not quite the same, but just as nice if you see what I mean... OR

c) good, not quite up to decent pedals, but still worth it for the added capability and convenience.

d) not brilliant, but useable, still great for the capability/convenience - "not really as good as I'd like, but the audience would never notice" kind of thing.

Forgive my asking the question, and I know this is subjective, but would still like your views. Will stop with all the questions before long I promise!

:)
    I think the "Fake" element of it doesn't apply if you aren't using the amp modelling. The FXs are digital FX, but they aren't fake anything, they are just digital FX. 

They are as good as anything really. The delays aren't as good as my favorite TC, but they are on a par with a Boss for example.

The G3 is digital so when it's in the signal chain you are always going to be going through a DAC and an ADC, but it's all 32 bit internally so I don't see why that should be a problem. 
    I can tell the difference between the sound with the G3 in the loop, but it doesn't sound any worse (from a fidelity perspective it's possibly better as the buffering probably takes out the cable loses), but then I can tell the difference between a lot of things (I do a lot of comparative listening for my job).

A multi FX should theoretically offer the ultimate in fidelity as every jack and bit of cable in between your amp causes degradation and a multi ensures you are only going from analogue to digital and back the once. 

From buying a lot of kit I can safely say you aren't going to know the answer to this question until you get one and spend a month or so pissing about with it. The good thing about the G3 (and what made it a no brainer for me) is that even if you don't use it live it's worth the cost of entry to use the looper and drum machine for practice, or the USB interface for recording quick demos. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Another very complete, specific, and useful answer monq - cheers, have yet another wisdom :D That kind of nails the matter for me - really if the digital effects are as you say, then it already does everything I could want, and anything else, whatever it's like, is ultimately a bonus. The USB is totally outside of what I was interested in in my first post on this thread, but I find it quite a persuasive extra enticement all the same. The looper and drum machine are pretty cool too. So I think the order will be made - and I will have to decide at a later date if I still need/want any of my existing pedals. As I said above, time for me to stop asking questions, and come to a decision (I think we know which way that is going), but cheers again for being so helpful! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    i'd happily use the g3 as my only f/x at a gig, without worrying about sound quality. I think (for me at least) i'd record with pedals. Not that the g3 is incapable or doesnt sound good, just personal preference.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Reading about the G3 - it really does look very handy but I couldn't cope with the up/down to change patches - is there no way ot just have 3 patches set to the 3 buttons?   

That would be a nice little pedal in the loop of a midi controlled amp.
    mike_l said:
    i'd happily use the g3 as my only f/x at a gig, without worrying about sound quality. I think (for me at least) i'd record with pedals. Not that the g3 is incapable or doesnt sound good, just personal preference.
    Cheers for that mike, appreciate the clarification - I do really think I'm persuaded at this point. The only question for the future will be whether to keep my old pedals or not. Some or all of them may be appearing for sale on this forum before too long, but I'll have to see how I feel about that in a few weeks maybe.
    i dont find it any more "digital" than any individual digital pedal. Amp sims are a little digital compared to a real amp, but not to the point of unuseable.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

John_P said:
    Reading about the G3 - it really does look very handy but I couldn't cope with the up/down to change patches - is there no way ot just have 3 patches set to the 3 buttons?   

That would be a nice little pedal in the loop of a midi controlled amp.

I think that's a fair point John - I guess it's down to the individual. Personally I think I could cope well enough having thought about it - I very much doubt I would be the type of user that wanted to make many patch changes during a performance. Most of my stuff might be covered by just 2 patches really. As long as I had the right 2 patches next to each other for whichever song, that would be fine I think.
    mike_l said:
    i dont find it any more "digital" than any individual digital pedal. Amp sims are a little digital compared to a real amp, but not to the point of unuseable.
    Yep - that reinforces what monq said - and it's certainly good enough for me - sounds like the digital effects are going to be as good as anything else I've ever used, and the amp sims are nice to have as well - I guess I would never have expected them to sound exactly like (or quite as good as) the actual amps themselves.
    £119 delivered from DV247 - not used them before, a good place to buy?
    tFB Trader
    Megii said:
    £119 delivered from DV247 - not used them before, a good place to buy?
    They are somewhat lacking in business ethics so I wouldn't buy from them

Seems like it's the same price a few other places. Might be worth seeing how much cheaper Flubbit can do it via Amazon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers monq, I've just read a few dodgy reviews of their service as well... Andertons are doing £123 delivered - a decent option? Will look into Flubbit, thanks for that. Not done a whole lot of internet shopping for this kind of gear, so it's as well to ask.
    tFB Trader
    I bought mine from Andertons. 

Not seeing Flubbit as one of the sellers on Amazon. Amazon themselves doing £119 delivered, also GAK via amazon at the same price. Andertons not much more though, and they might match the price anyway if I ask. Cheers for the advice! :)

tFB Trader
    You go to flubbit and then submit the amazon URL and they get it cheaper. 
    Takes a couple of days, but it works. 
    Cheers monq - worth knowing about, but I've got such bad GAS at this point that I think I want the Zoom asap... :D
    Shouldn't start threads like this - have just ordered a G3 from Andertons, hope you're all happy with yourselves... ;)
    edited September 2013
    we are. Its what we do. Btw enjoy the g3.

mike_l said:
    we are. Its what we do. Btw enjoy the g3.
    Good stuff lol - I know I will indeed enjoy, cheers! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Good work!
    Cheers monq! We all need the odd bit of retail therapy from time to time, and I am grateful to you guys for informing me about the Zoom G3 - I really think for my needs, this is absolutely the best way I could have spent my money - the right product at the right price, as they say. :)