Music To Lyrics

What's Hot

Ok so I have written 3 songs now and have no idea what to do with them next in so much as putting a harmony, riff, chords etc to them.

I don't know whether to co-write with someone who has experience or whether to battle on by myself. I just don't know what to do first and where to start.   

I would appreciate some help.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There are no rules.

Just sing them and see what melody comes out, then fit the chords to them

Or play guitar till you have a cool sounding thing, then write the melody to suit. 

Or take the Protest the Hero route and do I Don't Even Know What to match the music to the lyrics...
  • Good advice but doesn't help me at all!! :((
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    do you mean you have 3 sets of song lyrics (with a melody idea) written but no music?
    or you have chords written too? even if basic ones

• Nope I mean I just have lyrics - like a poem written and nothing!!
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Try fitting I V vi IV Chord prog over it .ie in  Cmajor. C G Am F.
    It may help. Also try from the vi.   ie Am F C G.

• Ok - but won't it sound like a U2 song!!! lol only joking!!! Will try it.

B-)
    Well if you still havent found what your looking for! Try I IV V.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I sometimes have this. Put the lyrics away, forget about them. Go write some riffs, regardless. Later still, see if any of the lyricvs and riffs can fit, adjust if necessary.

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Georgie said:
    Nope I mean I just have lyrics - like a poem written and nothing!!
    do you write/play music as well?
  • I normally have it the other way round...i get loads of riffs and harmonies in my head and I have to crowbar lyrics around them. Having sdaid that you can't just force inspiration....

So.... 
    • are there any particular styles you are thinking of?
    • What vocalists do you like to listen to and how do they create their stuff?
    • Have you tried breaking them down into single lines and saying them out loud to try and eck out a beat or melody?
    • What about trying to read them over a drum track or percussion line?
    • Do you want the lyrics to follow a melody  e.g Eagles - Hotel California or to be independant of a melody, e.g early Chili Peppers
  • I have written about 2 songs in my life but I am quite interested in the process. My observation is that having a set of lyrics to set to music is the hard way round. Somebody like Elton John famously does it and it's the process for things like musicals but the rock n roll way tends to be the outline music first ( chords,riff) over which you hum a melody and then add words ( although you might have lyrical ideas in mind). I quite liked the idea of the Lyle Lovett approach where he never writes lyrics down, just works on words and melody combined out loud/ in his head until he has something memorable. If it ain't good enough to remember it ain't good enough, being the idea. He then has to find the right key underneath and adjust the chord sequence to fit. Some songwriters also simply just generate a lot of stuff - lot of lyrics, melodies, riffs, chord sequences, etc - and eventually stuff fits together. I quite like the idea of the Nashville style songwriter clubs where you have to write a song each week. Doesn't really matter how good it is, just put something together so you learn about the process. Ideally you get critical feedback but you could do this pretty much by yourself. If you start with a lyric then sing/ hum it until there is a basic melody. What note on the guitar feels right under that? Make that into a chord, which is right major or minor? If you tap a rhythm underneath where does the chord change have to go on each new bar ( if anywhere at all)?Go where you hear it or restrict it to diatonic changes? Those songwriting programmes with Guy Chambers were interesting. He is a pro songwriter but he seems to start with a concept and some parameters - want something anthemic, modern RnB, for that singer - and puts things in place that fit that so it's an elaborate jigsaw of ideas. In those programmes he was collaborating and working to the strengths of the performers. A lot of bands simply jam ideas around as their collaboration. Unsurprisingly many people still stick to well known formulas - 12 bar blues or I VI IV V or what have you ( and most genres have a formula somewhere). That way the musical structure is in place in your head as you write and then it overlaps into arrangement: which key, tempo, chord substitutions, finding an intro/ outro, adding a middle 8,etc, etc. Whilst these aren't inventive they are used a lot - if you are writing in a country style then an awful lot of country is based around well worn changes. IIRC they say they have crazy weather in Nashville so they like their music to be predictable. [ on iPad, no paragraph breaks and had too much caffeine again]. ~O)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I have written about 2 songs in my life but I am quite interested in the process. My observation is that having a set of lyrics to set to music is the hard way round. Somebody like Elton John famously does it and it's the process for things like musicals but the rock n roll way tends to be the outline music first ( chords,riff) over which you hum a melody and then add words ( although you might have lyrical ideas in mind). I quite liked the idea of the Lyle Lovett approach where he never writes lyrics down, just works on words and melody combined out loud/ in his head until he has something memorable. If it ain't good enough to remember it ain't good enough, being the idea. He then has to find the right key underneath and adjust the chord sequence to fit. Some songwriters also simply just generate a lot of stuff - lot of lyrics, melodies, riffs, chord sequences, etc - and eventually stuff fits together. I quite like the idea of the Nashville style songwriter clubs where you have to write a song each week. Doesn't really matter how good it is, just put something together so you learn about the process. Ideally you get critical feedback but you could do this pretty much by yourself. If you start with a lyric then sing/ hum it until there is a basic melody. What note on the guitar feels right under that? Make that into a chord, which is right major or minor? If you tap a rhythm underneath where does the chord change have to go on each new bar ( if anywhere at all)?Go where you hear it or restrict it to diatonic changes? Those songwriting programmes with Guy Chambers were interesting. He is a pro songwriter but he seems to start with a concept and some parameters - want something anthemic, modern RnB, for that singer - and puts things in place that fit that so it's an elaborate jigsaw of ideas. In those programmes he was collaborating and working to the strengths of the performers. A lot of bands simply jam ideas around as their collaboration. Unsurprisingly many people still stick to well known formulas - 12 bar blues or I VI IV V or what have you ( and most genres have a formula somewhere). That way the musical structure is in place in your head as you write and then it overlaps into arrangement: which key, tempo, chord substitutions, finding an intro/ outro, adding a middle 8,etc, etc. Whilst these aren't inventive they are used a lot - if you are writing in a country style then an awful lot of country is based around well worn changes. IIRC they say they have crazy weather in Nashville so they like their music to be predictable. [ on iPad, no paragraph breaks and had too much caffeine again]. ~O)
    With a bit of tinkering that could be song no 3!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I next get on a PC I'll edit it, honest ! :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    When I next get on a PC I'll edit it, honest ! :)
    Nah, its clear enough mate and a good post imo.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    If you are stuck, I think a second person can interpret your words better and maybe put some music to it that you may not have thought of?

You know like the word can conjure up a melody to some people when they read them.

Sort of Elton / Taupin stylee

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • This thread has given me an idea for a Riff of the Month challenge (paging @TTony): someone contributes some lyrics, and the forum are tasked with putting them to music. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27464
    edited November 2014
    Probably more suited to the "main" challenge rather than the riff challenge.

But a good idea (IMHO) @redrighthand.

Whaddya think @Antique_Guitars?

[edit]
    And what do you think @Georgie - you could submit a set of lyrics and have a dozen or so different pieces of music composed to fit them.   This thread will give you an idea of the diversity of stuff that's written for a challenge.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Its probably a bit of a big ask to write a song to lyrics in a month so yeah defo sounds like a good idea for the next FB Challenge :-)
    Old Is Gold
  • It does sound like a good idea.

Would you start with the chorus or verse.

please tell me it gets easier once I have done a few!!

I was wondering too if you hear a riff you like from someone else's song how much can you keep it the same without court proceedings lol!!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited November 2014
    Hi Georgie,

I wouldn't use anyone else's riff, let your own personality come through. My advise would be to record yourself speaking / singing your poem then play guitar over the playback ..