To buy or not to buy....LP Custom

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Here's another Tobacco Custom, more expensive but given its condition not *that* much overpriced 
    Given its age, that one will likely have the Bill Lawrence PCB-backed pickups.
    Wow 1k more, I think that's way overpriced or at least too much for me. To be honest I like the look of well used guitar more. 

Is there anything else I should ask before I pull the trigger?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    madcult said:
    Is there anything else I should ask before I pull the trigger?
    If they will please detune the strings to make sure it arrives in one piece, since it doesn't have the maple neck :).

It's a far better deal than the later guitar, which I agree is overpriced, even in that condition.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited November 2014

That LP is in gorgeous condition but as you say, way OTT on the price (at that price you can get a VOS) - I'd have said circa £2,300 as the top price.  Always worth giving them a call to see what they'd be prepared to come down to. 

Might also be worth making an offer on this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Owner-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Tobacco-Sunburst-Made-June-1980-Serial-81560690-/271647428116?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f3f72ce14

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    This one just sold in the states for $2400, import tax would be like £350. That would be under £2k easy! http://briansguitars.com/product/used-gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-custom-ebony
  • Voxman said:

That LP is in gorgeous condition but as you say, way OTT on the price (at that price you can get a VOS) - I'd have said circa £2,300 as the top price.  Always worth giving them a call to see what they'd be prepared to come down to. 

Might also be worth making an offer on this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Owner-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Tobacco-Sunburst-Made-June-1980-Serial-81560690-/271647428116?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f3f72ce14

I thought about both of these. Funilly enought the 1980 model you can't contact the seller through ebay (weird one, never come across anything like that) But lets be honest I would be willing to go with them only if they can go down to around 1800. Few hundreds discount maybe but not 1k. Another important thing for me is the  return policy
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    That lovely silverburst is still on there for £2k - he'd probably take £1800. I know its not tobacco sunburst but the silverbursts are really desirable.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Managed to get in touch with above mentioned alternative

1980 LP Custom Tobacco Sunburst

First owner
    All original
    Original frets in good condition
    Original paperwork

To be honest I do prefer the more natural look of the 84 model. This looks to me overdone in terms of brownish colouring on the back and the neck.

I might be able to push him on similar price like 84 but at the moment it is more expensive. 

My only question is what would be the difference in construction or specs compared to the 84? I would consider it if there was a significant difference between them in favour of the 80 model. 

The '80 will have all or most of the 'bad' Norlin features, apart from the sandwich body.

I prefer the maple neck but I'd still probably buy the '84.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 376
    The '80 has a lot more going for it - as you've listed above. 

It doesn't make a lot of sense, to me, to go for the '84 because you prefer the colour of the back & the neck - in truth, how often are you likely to be looking at the back of the guitar?

You've obviously got your heart set on the '84, but if it were me, & I could get both at the same/similar price, I'd definitely go for the '80.

• madcultmadcult Frets: 37
    edited November 2014

Ok another one in the game.

89 LP Custom tobacco burst

All original 

Lawrence pickups

post norlin era

2000Eur

The Lawrence pickups got high output which I thought would be more suitable for heavy music?I know Shaw are much more desirable but for my kind of style maybe not as suitable as Lawrence pickups?Correct me if I'm wrong. 

What are you thoughts guys?  

http://imgur.com/a/GdriE

These Lawrence pickups are poorly made and sound bad, nothing to do with how high-output they are. (These particular 'Lawrences' - which are actually Gibsons designed by Bill Lawrence - other 'proper' Bill Lawrence pickups are good.)

But given the lower price of the guitar you could spend some of the difference on much better ones. The covers aren't worn enough that putting brand new ones in will look out of place.

• That looks decent enough for the money. 2 piece top as well, most of the vintage sunburst customs from that era including mine have 3 piece maple tops. The bill Lawrence bridge pickup is fairly hot, around 14k and the neck around 8k. My 89 custom has been a solid workhorse for the last 12 years or so which I use mainly for slide now. I paid £800 for mine from a shop in jersey so it looks like I've made a few quid if I ever decide to sell!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBM said:
    These Lawrence pickups are poorly made and sound bad, nothing to do with how high-output they are. (These particular 'Lawrences' - which are actually Gibsons designed by Bill Lawrence - other 'proper' Bill Lawrence pickups are good.)

But given the lower price of the guitar you could spend some of the difference on much better ones. The covers aren't worn enough that putting brand new ones in will look out of place.

As ICBM said the pickups on these are known to have issues because of the pcb on them. Get some new ones. I put a wcr filmore set in and they work beautifully.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Hi guys so whats the difference between 2 and 3 piece maple top? If I change the pickups can you still swap tham back so they will be in original condition as before?
  • I can't comment on your first choices, but I do remember trying a new Custom in 1990 at Peter Cooks and I was distinctly unimpressed. Pickup sound wasn't great, and the colour of the finishes - particularly in cherry - was really garish! Although that tobacco does seem to have weathered nicely…

I'd actually gone out to buy a Heartfield RR7, but I was at Gary Moore the previous night - so I had to try a Les too!

• What about cherry burst? There's a really nice one just added to the classifieds on here?
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 390
    edited November 2014
    madcult said:
    Hi guys so whats the difference between 2 and 3 piece maple top? If I change the pickups can you still swap tham back so they will be in original condition as before?

I assume using three pieces to make up the cap was a bit of a cost cutting exercise, obviously a 2 piece top will look nicer. The 3 pieces that make up the top on my guitar are not matched very well. In regards to pickups, if you decide to change them, just keep the originals nice and safe so if you decide to sell it will be all original. You can see in the pic of my guitar the poorly matched top, it doesn't worry me though because I can't see it when I'm playing it! http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee512/bandmaster188/imagejpg1_zps3bebbe7f.jpg
    The Swamp City Shakers
    madcult said:
    Hi guys so whats the difference between 2 and 3 piece maple top?
    2-piece usually looks nicer and is the accepted 'right' type.

madcult said:
    If I change the pickups can you still swap tham back so they will be in original condition as before?
    Yes, if you can solder well.