New Tele Build Day

What's Hot
dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
edited November 2014 in Making & Modding
Just finished building this from scratch. Its a Swamp Ash body with a Tru Oil finish, maple neck, Oil City Wapping Wharf in the Bridge and a Mojo P90 in the neck, 4 way switching and Kluson tuners. Also now has a GK3 pickup for use with my new VG-99.

Its my third build, really pleased with it. Several things not quite right (eg the ferrule holes are not straight), but there is something special  about playing a guitar you've built yourself. Its very heavy mind!

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/FullSizeRender_zpsdd7d73d1.jpg

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l512/dean2371/FullSizeRender_zps97c7bf9d.jpg
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Nice! Did you do the neck yourself too?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Nice!
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Yes, built it all including the neck. Just starting the next one, another Tele with an internal GK3. Thinking about the best scratchplate and control configuration to accommodate the extra switches.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Have a WOW dude.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    It even tones in beautifully with the rest of the room ! ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Carefully blended; guitars by ikea!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    dean2371 said:
    Yes, built it all including the neck. Just starting the next one, another Tele with an internal GK3. Thinking about the best scratchplate and control configuration to accommodate the extra switches.
    Now that is a project that I hope you share here. I have a faux-Tele (ex-Yamaha) from Telemods.co.uk - in fact this one.
    http://www.telemods.co.uk/gk_install/GK2Afront.html - but would like to convert one of my 'proper' Teles. 

Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • Nice. :-)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Very nice indeed. Doesn't look like swamp ash to me, hope you don't mind me saying, but wonder if it could be something else?
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I love the grain on that, I see where Megii's coming from though. Pickup choice sounds great too. Top job.
    Thanks for the comments. I don't claim to be an expert on woods, but it was sold to me as swamp ash. anyone know what else it might be?
  • The really straight grain and the heavy weight makes me think it's another type of ash.  Guitarbuild do bodies made from 'baseball bat' ash, which is usually heavier. I'm not an expert though!

Still, it looks really nice, I don't often like natural finishes but that looks really sweet.