BFD Oblivion

Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited November 2014 in Studio & Recording
Hey peeps,

So for the last few months one of the projects I've been working quite heavily on is a new expansion pack for BFD Eco/BFD2/BFD3 called BFD Oblivion:

www.fxpansion.com/bfdoblivion

Myself and Mike at the office recorded, edited, processed, and turned a Mapex Orion kit into a full product, and we also did the video inhouse too. Thought you might get a kick out of it, and I know there are a few users of BFD around here too who might otherwise miss this. Official announcements are going out today, but yeah... there ya go! That's what I be doing at the moment!

More kits are planned, so if you've got any requests or ideas, throw 'em at me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Awwww!

I thought it was a freebee! I have Eco.

Dave.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sorry Dave, no freebies this time ;)
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    interesting tom sizes for a rock / metal kit.. I'd have expected them to be a little bigger [although personally I like small toms]
    play every note as if it were your first
    S'all about tuning. Those huge toms I tend to find can be too boomy for metal and rock imho. I'd rather a smaller tom but tuned lower. Big toms are better for funk and more 70's prog stuff imho.
  • Blimey, sounds immense. 

Are those recorded sounds in the video just 'from the box' so to speak, or tweaked in software? 
  • Also, dat delay.
    Drums-wise, all from the box. We didn't do any extra processing to get them to fit in the mix. The guitars and bass are all Axe FX II of course. Grooves were played by me on the in house TD-20.

The audio was mastered of course, but not to the point of killing everything. As a pack, it really does big and punchy out of the box, with no messing about.
  • Sounds boss, I could literally do with JUST that sound.  It could easily do hard rock, maybe a bit too heavy sounding for funk though.  

I'm hoping I get BFD soon.  Eco prolly. 
  • Looks awesome, can you still get the most out of it in BFD2?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Yup! Fully compatible with BFD2. With Eco you lose the crush channel, but everything else is fully compatible. Lots of layers too!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

loved the demo...

when I've finally fniished the album I'm working on, I'll start using BFD3 for the first time in anger... looking forward to it hugely

play every note as if it were your first
  • Drew_fx said:
    Yup! Fully compatible with BFD2. With Eco you lose the crush channel, but everything else is fully compatible. Lots of layers too!
    And which do you think is the bigger gain in bang for buck terms if i had to pick one BFD3 upgrade or BFD oblivion?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Ooo that sounds beefy. 

I don't do a lot of home recording these days, but I'd be getting a copy of BFD if I got back into it.
    Drew_fx said:
    And which do you think is the bigger gain in bang for buck terms if i had to pick one BFD3 upgrade or BFD oblivion?
    Oooof. That's putting me on the spot!

I'd say if you want beefy insto-gratification drums, then get Oblivion and stick with BFD2. If you want a bunch of well recorded but requiring processing drums, as well as the extra features like the a new browser, cymbal swell tech and simulated tom bleeds, then BFD3.

Personally - and speaking as just a user of BFD - I don't use half of what BFD3 does, and if it were custom-rolled software made just for me, I'd not have most of the deep features. I just want sick sounds, and Oblivion gives me that.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    So if you were the kind of person without the patience for fiddling do you think you'd be better off getting Eco and a couple of expansions?

• So if you were the kind of person without the patience for fiddling do you think you'd be better off getting Eco and a couple of expansions?

This is relevant. 

After decent sounding funk drums for programming, though programming takes forever. 
    So if you were the kind of person without the patience for fiddling do you think you'd be better off getting Eco and a couple of expansions?

Perhaps. Eco has a limitation on the number of velocities it can use from the packs, and sometimes it is noticeable. I often want to do a middle version that has none of the mixing and deeper mapping stuff that BFD3 has, but all of the quality of the sounds. I lose that argument every time though!
  • Drew_fx said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Oooof. That's putting me on the spot!

I'd say if you want beefy insto-gratification drums, then get Oblivion and stick with BFD2. If you want a bunch of well recorded but requiring processing drums, as well as the extra features like the a new browser, cymbal swell tech and simulated tom bleeds, then BFD3.

Personally - and speaking as just a user of BFD - I don't use half of what BFD3 does, and if it were custom-rolled software made just for me, I'd not have most of the deep features. I just want sick sounds, and Oblivion gives me that.
    Simulated tom bleed can fuck off...why would I want a feature that makes it harder to mix? :D

I dont tweak much in BFD2, the cymbal swell stuff appeals though but I think we had a conversation about this already and it wasnt quite what i thought it was. I'd love if you could just drag a midi note out and it would swell up to the end point of that note then ring out. This is detecting quick retrieggers isnt it?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Yeah the swell tech detects quick retriggers and incoming velocities in order to programatically fade and smear layers together. It works quite well!
    One of our users did a video. Skip to 6:20ish to hear the pack in a mix: