The Boss LS-2...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike257 said:
    @steamabacus - that's a super-tidy board, love great compact setups like that. Nice work! Is that a JD-10 preamp hiding under your GT-OD?
    You should see it at the moment! I'm currently rebuilding it and it's a mess of cabling! The new configuration is even more fiendishly compacted which has allowed me to fit an extra pedal on there. And yes, that is a JD-10 - I've used them for years. I have three of them - one used as an overdrive on the board, one used as a pre-amp/speaker emulator for direct recording and one spare. My new board setup includes a new power supply which allows me to run the JD-10 at 18V (they sound better ta higher voltages).
    I'll post pics of the new board when (if?) I finish it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ICBM said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Still have the circuit somewhere, but no jacks and no schematic.
    Damn, I could have done with that PCB recently.

If you find it, can you let me know? No hurry now though.

In short - the Boss LS-2 is a great pedal for what it does, if it fits on your board! It's one of the most useful pedals there is for many different applications.

But it's such a nightmare to work on that if you break it, it's probably cheaper to buy a new one than have it repaired. This particularly applies if you've used the wrong power supply and cooked some stuff on the board... :)
    Oh I know where the PCB is, it's in my little box o' tricks. Got a few knackered Behringer bits too!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Drew_fx said:
    Oh I know where the PCB is, it's in my little box o' tricks. Got a few knackered Behringer bits too!
    So have I :).

I'll file the knowledge of where there is a spare LS-2 board away for future reference ;). I wish we'd had this conversation a month ago!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I did think about asking you if it was repairable, but at the time I was incommunicado!
    @ICBM - I don't suppose you would happen to have a schematic for the LS-2 would you? I want to fix mine, which I broke apart trying to solve this very issue, but then gave up at some point. This has just been sitting in a box, and I could do with it for a new project!

From what I can see there are 9 contacts I'm going to need to deal with. 7 have wire, two of them don't (I guess it got pulled out, as I can see a tiny bit of wire in the hole... can be desoldered)

On the left hand side points 1 and 2 (brown and white wire) seem to be related to the power so is possible they went to the old battery clip. There is also point 5, the furthest white wire, which I think may be to a jack, as with point 22. Then on the right side, point 20, 21, and 23 (red, green, yellow) which I think go to some jacks also...

Points 6 and 28 are the ones that lack longer wires, so I'll need to replace them.

Phew.... any thoughts??
    Drew_fx said:
    @ICBM - I don't suppose you would happen to have a schematic for the LS-2 would you? I want to fix mine, which I broke apart trying to solve this very issue, but then gave up at some point. This has just been sitting in a box, and I could do with it for a new project!

From what I can see there are 9 contacts I'm going to need to deal with. 7 have wire, two of them don't (I guess it got pulled out, as I can see a tiny bit of wire in the hole... can be desoldered)

On the left hand side points 1 and 2 (brown and white wire) seem to be related to the power so is possible they went to the old battery clip. There is also point 5, the furthest white wire, which I think may be to a jack, as with point 22. Then on the right side, point 20, 21, and 23 (red, green, yellow) which I think go to some jacks also...

Points 6 and 28 are the ones that lack longer wires, so I'll need to replace them.

Phew.... any thoughts??
    I don't have a schematic, but I may have enough left of the one with the dead board that I can work it out - I'll have a look tomorrow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Would be much appreciated :)
    OK, I found it, and it's relatively intact!

Here are the wire connections from the main PCB:

1 - brown - input jack ring (battery negative)
    2 - white - input jack ground
    3 - red - battery positive
    4 - orange - LED PCB
    5 - white - send jack PCB
    6 - orange - send jack PCB
    20 - orange - return A hot
    21 - green - return B hot
    22 - white - output jack
    23 - yellow - input jack tip
    24 - yellow - pot PCB
    25 - blue - pot PCB
    26 - red - red LED
    27 - green - green LED
    28 - purple - switch

(7-19 are presumably the ribbon cable)

Good luck :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oooo you saucy man you. Thanks very much. Will get on it this week!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    The LS-2 is a great pedal.  You need a very large pedal board to accommodate it - simply put it on the floor [beside the Wah?].  There the sockets are open and easily accessed.  This is how I use mine.  If I were a gigging guitar player, I would fit the LS-2 and the Wah onto a separate board but I am not so the floor is fine.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Bahhhhh... I can't find the original jacks :(

Need replacements. But I doubt there is enough room for regular jacks.
    edited November 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    Bahhhhh... I can't find the original jacks :(

Need replacements. But I doubt there is enough room for regular jacks.
    No, you need special ones.

You can have the ones from this one… the board is fried, and it isn't worth fixing. PM me your address!