Harmony Settings for The Darkness

ParkerParker Frets: 960
edited November 2014 in FX
Hey guys

Does anyone know what key and steps/parts I need to pull of I believe in a Thing Called Love and Donr Let The Bells End live?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    They use 3rds I think
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited November 2014
    Live IBIATCL is a little more straightforward. I do so love that track!  Here's them at Knebworth - just some good old straight rock n roll.  I always thought Justin Hawkins only used Marshall's but I recently found out that although he uses modded Marshall Plexi 59 reissues in the reformed Darkness, originally he was actually mainly using Mesa Boogie dual & triple rectifiers (and he also played a Cornford MK50H with Hot Leg).  Whatever, he and the band sounded great.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17580
    tFB Trader
    I think in the early Darkness stuff Justin was using a JCM800, with a Mesa V-Twin in front of it. 

It's really easy to hear who is playing the solo as Justin always has that Mesa sound and uses a lot more gain than Dan. 

It also means their guitars blend quite nicely as they are quite different tones though they both use LPs. 

I used to play IBIATCL and I don't remember it having any harmonies. The first solo is all bluesey stuff and the second solo is a bit more bluesey stuff followed by a pulloff riff going up the neck.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Nick Botfield and I did I Believe... live at IGF on2 guitars - I have never been more stressed about nailing 8 notes in my life! lol
    Red ones are better. 
  • I bought the first album on launch day, having seen them open Glastonbury that year. Absolutely brilliant. I even made a little clay Les Paul and Marshall in the clay modelling tent.

And yet... I had never noticed that harmony on the guitar line in the 11.5 years since!! :o

As for amps, Dan used to run an AC30 for clean and a Marshall SLP via Mesa V-twin for the noisy stuff. Justin was Mesa Dual Recs the first time round, and is now a Marshall endorsee

Good Guitarist mag "rig rundown" here:

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Maybe its my Brian May training...! ;)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I actually have the offical tab book for the album :D

Want me to photograph cetain lines for you and upload them?  (A lot of time sites get it wrong)

Let me know :) It's a great book!
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Thats very kind - I actually bought it recently so will sit down with it. I reckon I can play 95% by ear - its just the settings needed on my TC Nova System to get the harmonies right. I was being lazy to be honest as having a 15 month old stops me plugging and playing on an evening.