Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - Semi-hollow beauty

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Oh deary lord that's pretty, but I don't for one minute believe that it plays and sounds fantastic, unless of course you'd like to pass it around the forum members to prove otherwise. I'll start if you like ;)
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    never mind all that - give your poor plant a drink!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    wow
  • Stunning Guitar, enjoy.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • First class gassing, sir.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676

Not much a of a demo in terms of the tonal variety available, as it is just rocking out on the bridge pup, but fun nonetheless.

:D
    Flicks to Neck p/u at 1min.

Sounds nice.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Well.... A quick update for you chaps.

As you all know, nothing makes sense in the world of guitar buying and selling...

Everything I said about this guitar is correct. I have bought and sold many of the fancy guitar brands, but these are probably the finest example of electric guitar luthiery I have come across. Build quality, tone, playability, everything is completely perfect.

BUT, it is somehow just not for me... And is now heading back from whence it came :D  And I am instead taking another guitar that I was very close to choosing in the first place.

Thing is, when I got this, I immediately thought I can't justify two hollowbodies in the house, so put my ES330 up for sale in the classifieds here, but I quickly started to realise I just could not sell that guitar. I sat down and played both a lot and realised, that despite the Collings running rings round the ES in almost every conceivable way, there was a 'something' about the ES that just made me play in a certain way. A way that I prefer.

The neck profile on the ES just has a bit more 'clubbiness' to it, rather than the perfectly contoured Collings. And you had to fight it just a tiny bit more. I think that little bit of extra fight is maybe what you need. Playing too easily is not always the fabulous thing we make it out to be with guitars. I know I love my Telecaster!  :D

In terms of Fit & Finish, the gulf between these two guitars is absurd. We are talking the difference between a modern Bentley and a 1980's Lada. Seriously, it's that wide. But this just goes to prove, that is only a tiny factor in what makes a great guitar.

Sure many people are not surprised at all by this. I am not that surprised myself, and knew it might possibly pan out this way. I was just overwhelmed with the perfection of the Collings at first, and only after a little time started to realise that the slightly more indefinable things that the ES330 brings to the table are more to my taste..

Anyway, thought I would keep you posted!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah... was just about to type 'congrats'... and 'unusual to see one with a pickguard'... but I see it's moving on!!!

Amazing guitars... build quality is in another league... but if it doesn't fit what you're looking for - makes sense to move it on.

Good luck with the replacement. Let us know what that is going to be!

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I know nothing about collings electrics but that's a looker.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out.  I hope you're returning it quick enough to get a full refund!

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Sad to hear it's going back. That's a stunning looking guitar. Intrigued what as to what's next! :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    Glad it wasn't a Tom Collings then.... wouldn't have wanted to see that come back...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>