Wilkinson Vintage Tremolo, any good for my Strat?

What's Hot
I've been looking at this

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Wilkinson-WVC-Tremolo-Steel-Block-p/wvcsb.htm

Now the bridge on my Strat is your typical vintage type Fender trem. The main issue I have is that the screw in arm is a pain in the arse as it always works itself to start wabbling even after wrapping a bit of plumbers tape around the thread.

I've looked at Gotoh trems and for the same thing as the Wilkinson it would cost me around £140. Is the Wilkinson bridge going to be any good considering how cheap it is even with the steel block?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited November 2014
    I have one on a strat, and find it to be excellent in terms of build quality and tone. Re the push-in trem arm, there is a grub screw which can be adjusted to keep the arm a snug fit and not too loose. I have found that it can get a bit wobbly after a while, but to be honest I'm not much of a user of the trem (normally just have it pulled against the body with 5 springs) so haven't bothered experimenting with the arm setup. I reckon maybe a dot of nail varnish over the grub screw would keep things stable, or some thread lock maybe. In general though, I'd give the Wilkinson units a firm thumbs up - just very good value IMO.

On another strat, I have the WVPC one, and actually I prefer it to the WVC, but it doesn't have the vintage-correct looks of course. Very comfortable under the heel of the hand though, and well made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You don't need a new Bridge, just a block to take the trem arm.

The wudtone one fixes your problem and is a big lump of steel.

The vintage style plate is another 30 quid but all in with a new arm, it's cheaper than a gotoh and will probably improve your sound, even if marginally.

Otherwise, just check measurements against the trem block. It's not cheap though.
  • Megii said:
    I have one on a strat, and find it to be excellent in terms of build quality and tone. Re the push-in trem arm, there is a grub screw which can be adjusted to keep the arm a snug fit and not too loose. I have found that it can get a bit wobbly after a while, but to be honest I'm not much of a user of the trem (normally just have it pulled against the body with 5 springs) so haven't bothered experimenting with the arm setup. I reckon maybe a dot of nail varnish over the grub screw would keep things stable, or some thread lock maybe.
    I have this trem on my Lag Jet. It's excellent (and I'm another one who prefers 'hard to the body' on trems) but, over time, the arm loosened so that it 'dangles' although it doesn't wobble when used.
    I never knew there was a grub screw!!!!
    I've just had a look and ... there it is! I can now tighten it slightly.
    :D

Thanks, @Megii. Have a wisdom.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Megii said:
    I have one on a strat, and find it to be excellent in terms of build quality and tone. Re the push-in trem arm, there is a grub screw which can be adjusted to keep the arm a snug fit and not too loose. I have found that it can get a bit wobbly after a while, but to be honest I'm not much of a user of the trem (normally just have it pulled against the body with 5 springs) so haven't bothered experimenting with the arm setup. I reckon maybe a dot of nail varnish over the grub screw would keep things stable, or some thread lock maybe.
    I have this trem on my Lag Jet. It's excellent (and I'm another one who prefers 'hard to the body' on trems) but, over time, the arm loosened so that it 'dangles' although it doesn't wobble when used.
    I never knew there was a grub screw!!!!
    I've just had a look and ... there it is! I can now tighten it slightly.
    :D

Thanks, @Megii. Have a wisdom.
    Cool! Cheers :D
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    If you are going to spend £150 then buy the best the ABM 5050-S Vintage Style Tremolo

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    Callaham blocks have a push-in arm with a Delrin insert. They also keep your guitar original spec.
  • I've found the Callaham block to be a little disappointing in that regard. It seems to behave like any other arm/block in that it can be loose with some play, wind it in one more turn and it's stiff - no play but but you have to push it out of the way.