Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

School me on muffs (heh)

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    impmann said:
    Nice but $219 is a bit 'ouch' really...

Much cheaper than that in the classifieds..... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The closest I've got to the "Gilmour sound" is a Mr.Ed into a Distortron.

The distortron on the high-gain, but rolled back, rather than low-gain turned up

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l;408169" said:
    The closest I've got to the "Gilmour sound" is a Mr.Ed into a Distortron.

The distortron on the high-gain, but rolled back, rather than low-gain turned up
    So high gain with a compressor in front?

How conpressy are we talking? I've always thought he had quite a bit of touch control, despite the raging sustain, so I'm guessing not too squishy?

I'll have a play with the son of Hyde, but it's too raggedy I think - it's really gritty rather than smooth, and was the same even with a tubescreamer in front.

The distortron is bitchin' though, right?

The Mr Ed is a fuzzy/dirty pedal, not a compressor.

The Distortron gives a nice low-gain crunch, and the Mr Ed boosts this into a lovely creamy, lead sound.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    viz said:

Why do people go for fuzz and not all-out full overdrive? Not saying they shouldn't, mind, it's just that to me fuzz sounds like OD with the drive turned down to tasteful levels. Nice work Monkey by the way. Love the speed up and solo on PTFM.
    It's slightly different to my ears, it's a bit more compressed and a bit more synthy, a bit less obviously guitar. 

Summer Breeze is my touchstone for the type of stuff that I do. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    Im going to ask Santa for a Musket fuzz, muff with a Boost up its front
  • mike_l;408189" said:
    The Mr Ed is a fuzzy/dirty pedal, not a compressor.

The Distortron gives a nice low-gain crunch, and the Mr Ed boosts this into a lovely creamy, lead sound.
    Woops, mistook it for the Marshall ed!

I'll look into it :)
    You can try mine if you like.

• mike_l;408254" said:
    You can try mine if you like.
    I'd love to - I'll see if I have anything you might like to borrow, but I've purged quite a lot recently.

Might be at the jam this Sunday, if you're there?
    Possibly out sunday evening.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    The closest I've got to the Gilmour muff sound is a Cornish P1 into a BK tube Driver into a Hiwatt. Much to my surprise it was quite close.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    With regards to Gilmour and muffs, it's a tricky one - as has been said in previous posts, there is often more than just the Muff making the overall tone - usually there's a booster, delay and a small amount of modulation. I tried a few muffs but could never get it quite right tone-wise. Closest I've got to that smooth Gilmour lead tone is the Buffalo FX Evolution. Smooth sustain for days with some great harmonics. It won't really do the really fuzzy muff tones but then it's not really a muff! If you want the low down on Muffs for Gilmour tones, check out Gilmourish.com or Kit Rae's Muff page. Both have some great demo's and clips.
    I believe Mr G uses an EQ (Boss GE-7) after his Muff for his tones.

• Gassage;408306" said:
    The closest I've got to the Gilmour muff sound is a Cornish P1 into a BK tube Driver into a Hiwatt. Much to my surprise it was quite close.
    Ahhh okay, hadn't considered that. Don't suppose you'd consider lending the hiwatt, p1 and bk to me do you?

I just want to assess how close it gets. Honest.

;)

I think I'm going to go for a muff clone that's hopefully better built than current ehx offerings, and hit it (or use it to hit) a boss ds-2 when I want to sound like John fru.

Probably a velvet. Because it does sound quite fantastic.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    My take on it ;) (actually 5 pedals in there, new one is getting a different muff and delay, plus a CE-2).

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    juansolo said:
    My take on it ;) (actually 5 pedals in there, new one is getting a different muff and delay, plus a CE-2).

@juansolo

You have a pm.

Gassage;408306" said:
    Ahhh okay, hadn't considered that. Don't suppose you'd consider lending the hiwatt, p1 and bk to me do you?

I just want to assess how close it gets. Honest.

;)

I think I'm going to go for a muff clone that's hopefully better built than current ehx offerings, and hit it (or use it to hit) a boss ds-2 when I want to sound like John fru.

Probably a velvet. Because it does sound quite fantastic.
    TPD

There's a lot to be said for a Rat into a TS808, although I'd probably use a GE7 or Source Audio EQ in lieu of the TS808 for venues that 'we' normally play.

• Gassage said:
    I really think the Hiwatt is a big contributor to that sound. 
    I think his amps are the biggest shaper to his tone rather than gear choice.

Most fuzzes with big sustain into a hiwatt will get you there in my opinion 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Gassage said:
    I really think the Hiwatt is a big contributor to that sound. 
    I think his amps are the biggest shaper to his tone rather than gear choice.

Most fuzzes with big sustain into a hiwatt will get you there in my opinion 
    Yeah, there's some truth in that. However, I'd suggest it's more about an amp that loves pedals with loads of cleanness. A Twin just as good...

• Moving away from the expensive boutique kind of gear doesn't Frusciante just use a bog standard v9 muff? Isn't that the same one as EHX makes now?