Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the catch with Fender Baja Classic Tele ? What am I missing?

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11859
edited November 2014 in Guitar

So, I am at lunch and looking at telecasters.

Ideally I like something with a 9.5" radius, 2 single pick ups, and rosewood fretboard and I came across the Classic Baja.

The spec it has a Custom shop neck and bridge pick up, the 3 saddle bridge, the guitar has all the spec I want, it even has the S-1 switching that you find in the American Deluxe.  So why is the Baja so much cheaper?  Like half the price of an American vintage?  What is the catch?

I see this one from Peach, great faded Sonic Blue colour (although I'd love it more if it is pure white with rosewood fretboard), and the price is very attractive.

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/fender-classic-player-baja-60s-tele-faded-sonic-blue-rosewood.htm

Seriously, what is the catch?  Is it because it doesn't come in a hard case?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No catch, they're great. 

• Because it's made by Mexicans who live in Mexico, rather than Mexicans who live in California...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Because it's made by Mexicans who live in Mexico, rather than Mexicans who work in California...
    Fixed that for you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11859
    Because it's made by Mexicans who live in Mexico, rather than Mexicans who live in California...

Is that it?  My GS mini is made in Mexico...it's amazing.

I have been looking at American Deluxe and American Vintage all along and this could save me £1k !

• Ive had two, thought they were meh, heavy, thick plastic paint with stupid switching. I didnt think they were that good value at £350 when they first came out.  Ive have a roadworn beefore another Baja. Some poeple love them though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Because it's made by Mexicans who live in Mexico, rather than Mexicans who work in California...
    Fixed that for you.

So the guitar is still made in the USA ?

And is the pick up the same as the American Vintage (or Custom shop) series?

• So the guitar is still made in the USA ?

Nope, they are made at the Mexican plant....(that matters greatly to some people, usually Americans), but there's a very high percentage of Mexican employees who work at the Corona (USA) plant....so it's all a bit silly really.

• The neck is an acquired taste - I didn't like it, but you might!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
    The Baja Tele is easily one of the best guitars on the market at the moment. They're made in Mexico, but what does that really mean in 2014? In terms of quality, it's certainly arguable that they are as good as an American Special Tele, and they definitely offer a lot more tonal variation. 

@RaymondLin - If you want one, drop me a PM and I'll see if we can do you a deal on one. It's always a pleasure selling a Baja!
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 543
    Yep, cheaper because they're made in Mexico.
    That's it.

My new Classic Player HH Strat was only £600 new as that was made in the Mexican plant.
    It's brilliant - surprisingly good humbuckers, nice bound neck with rosewood board, lovely Mercedes Blue finish, looks the part, sounds the part.
    And cost half of what it would if it had "Made in USA" on the headstock.

The guy who sets my guitars up has a Baja Tele, and he also used to have an American Standard (from 2006 I think).
    We both agreed that the Baja was a much nicer guitar when we A/B'd them, and he ended up getting rid of the USA model.
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Ive had two, thought they were meh, heavy, thick plastic paint with stupid switching. I didnt think they were that good value at £350 when they first came out.  Ive have a roadworn beefore another Baja. Some poeple love them though.
    I'd agree with that. I bought one and later ended up with another on a trade to sell on, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about on either occasion. Both seemed 'dead' guitars, quite dull sounding without any real sparkle, but loads of people love 'em. As always, play a couple beforehand.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3608
    That sonic blue '60's model looks great.  :)
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    the 60s sonic blue would be my choice .... I had a 50s and the neck was way too chunky for me down the F barre chord end
  • I've played a few 50s Bajas and I really want one.  I also like the 60s spec but not played one yet.  I am trying to shift my Strat to buy a Baja.
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 93
    I had a baja which I brought cause I loved the neck of my Classic 50's strat, couldn't get one with the tele though for some reason as others have mentioned they can be heavy and the finish is very thick.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2874

This is my third Baja, other two were the 50s models.

This is a much lighter guitar and less thick coat of paint/plastic as well.

Its like an acoustic unplugged, so loud and twangy. Truly awesome guitar.
    Which Baja model is that?
  • I want a 60's sonic blue tele. And strat.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2874
    60s model :)

Honestly a beauty of a guitar. Ticks all the boxes , for me anyway.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 795
    edited November 2014
    If I was buying a tele again I wouldn't even contemplate USA standards. It would be either baja or something like a hot rod 52. It wouldn't surprise me at all if fender phased out the USA standard line.