Shipping a guitar to Europe

What's Hot
FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
edited November 2014 in Guitar
I've had a bite on my Firebird, which is also for sale on Gumtree.

The guy wants me to ship it to Sweden. I have the guitar's OHSC.image

But what would you suggest I add by way of additional packaging? Will wrapping the whole thing in thick cardboard and packing tape suffice? And who would you use to ship it there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    I would wrap it up in bubble wrap before putting it in thick cardboard( you may be able to get a box from your local music shop)  Not sure who is your best local shipper, check who their partner/onward shipper is in Sweden and search for some feedback on them.

You could always ask the buyer to arrange the shipping.

Cheers  
    Jock
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Ideally you'll want to double box it with packing between boxes.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Where does one get the boxes? I live nowhere near the closest guitar emporium to beg from them.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Go to halfords and get a bike box, that way you can make boxes to fit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    PROTIP: You're in Europe too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    As a really off beat idea, weigh up the cost of a cheap flights for either you or the purchaser for a personal handover.

I had someone fly down to meet me at Toulouse as it wasn't much more than a courier.

Sounds mad,but it worked for me. 
  • PROTIP: You're in Europe too.

I'm sorry?

• Richardj said:
    As a really off beat idea, weigh up the cost of a cheap flights for either you or the purchaser for a personal handover.

I had someone fly down to meet me at Toulouse as it wasn't much more than a courier.

Sounds mad,but it worked for me. 

If the buyer lived in Toulouse that would be an attractive option. However, he's in Visby, about half way up the west cost of Sweden. It may well be lovely, but it's not on my bucket list and doesn't look particularly easy to get to. Plus, beer's about 93 quid a pint out there, so I'd probably spend all the money from the guitar waiting for the plane home.

It was just an idea....:)  As Sweden is part of the greater glorious Europe however any of the decent shipping companies (Interparcel, Parcels2ship, Parcelsplease etc) should be able to offer a fairly competitive rate to Sweden using a decent carrier like UPS.  Definitely double box if you can.  I pack out the inside of the guitar case, bubble wrap the outside of it, box it and then put that box in a bigger box with air packets etc around it.  It is a bit of effort but I haven't had any damage yet shipping out of France where they are definitely not careful with packages.
  • Can you give me an idea of cost? I'd like to give him a ballpark figure to see whether he's still interested, before I head to Halfords for huge boxes.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2014
    Can you give me an idea of cost? I'd like to give him a ballpark figure to see whether he's still interested, before I head to Halfords for huge boxes.
    Go to the interparcel webiste, enter the size, weight and destination and you'll get the prices. Beware that adding extra insurance is usally later in the booking process.

www.interparcel.co.uk
    Very rough estimate (say from France to UK, what I normally do) £50-£60 with a bit of insurance.  Obviously do not know if/how much more to Sweden.
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    edited November 2014
    Interparcel is saying it can't ship the parcel I put in. Obviously I don't know the weight and size of the parcel because I haven't created it yet. But I put in 20kg, 1.8x0.9.05m and it says it can't do it.

Same deal with Parcel 2 Go. Has anyone else used anyone in particular?
  • I use Parcel2Go.

Normal dimensions of a guitar box are around 45cmx22cmx125cm and the weight with packing and the case is around 23lbs.
  • I use Parcel2Go.

Normal dimensions of a guitar box are around 45cmx22cmx125cm and the weight with packing and the case is around 23lbs.

Cheers. I was obviously being a bit too cautious. I'll stick those dims in and see what happens.

• Might be slightly wrong on the width - perhaps about 17cm rather than 22cm, but its from memory!! Should get you in the right ballpark though
    Even with a heavy-ish guitar I average @120x20x45, weight @12kg.
  • Comes out at around £70, which seems reasonable.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Check the exclusions for the carrier - many won't insure musical instruments.
  • Thanks - I will.