Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone use the Line 6 Relay Wireless systems?

ash96ash96 Frets: 61
I was thinking about picking up the Line 6 G30 wireless system. Has anyone used this or particularly the G50? 

Is it worth the extra money? I'm just trying to work out if its worth the extra. With my functions band we do tend to mess about and go out in the crowd and stuff so just really don't want it to keep cutting out or anything!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I use the G30 - great bit of kit. Good signal and range. can get 2 gigs out a set of batteries and the only 'issue' is it needs a bit of tape or an elastic band to keep the battery door closed.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Both my bassist and I use a G30 and have done for roughly the last 4 years.

Though the units are plastic, they're very resilient and both sets are going strong despite regular use in practice and gigs. Their only weakness is the transmitter's battery door which has quite an annoying little clip. If you're careful with it and check it IS clipped into place, it is secure. But they're quite hard to clip in to place. Our bassist uses a bit of gaffa tape just to be sure, I've never bothered and not once had a problem.

Apart from that, I really can't fault them. I'm confident I could stamp on the receiver and it'd still work. The range is good, the only times i've experienced dropouts are going out into the crowd at outdoor gigs, or occasionally when I've walked into different rooms -which in hindsight is a silly move.

Battery life is also good -typically I'd expect at least 6 hours from a pair of AA batteries. And the only difference in sound is that a patch lead into a transmitter is going to load the pickups differently than, say, a 10 foot cable. I think the capacitance simulator doesn't do very much.

Oh, and the fact the transmitter takes standard 1/4" jack sockets is a big bonus IMO.
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Yeah I'd heard a lot about the transmitter battery door thing. One of my mates uses a black sweat band to cover the whole thing which i thought was a pretty good idea! Or I might just get a slightly longer patch cable and just keep it in my back pocket haha.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I had one. The battery door thing bothered me. I tried using duct tape to keep it shut but even so if it "jiggled" too much it would cause a reset. After that happened at a gig it was gone.
  • +1 totally echo the above!!
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I've put the new Shure GLX 16 on my shopping list. Seems to be the dogs and doubles as a tuner and the reviews are excellent. I hope to get one soon :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I've gigged a G50 at least once a week for the last three years with a loud, energetic classic punk and ska covers band. Brilliant piece of kit and does exactly what it says on the tin. Only issue I had with it was the original cable was a bit flimsy and it was a bit crackly, so I bought an upgrade one from ebay. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Gigged a G50 for nearly 3 years now. No issues aside from using Energizer batteries, they seem to be slightly larger than Duracell and so sometimes wouldn't make contact.

Great piece of kit.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I looked at G30 and felt it was very cheap feeling BUT - gigged the other night with a regular gigging band and both guitarists had the G30 and said they wouldn't be without them. The receiver sits on your board so is pretty safe once in place and the unit on the guitar can go in a pouch to protect it.
    Hankering after one now :p
    When they strolled off the stage during soundcheck I decided I needed one.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I've gigged the g30 multiple guitars (I have 3 transmitter packs) 60-70 gigs per year for the last 4 years or so
    Always have to be careful to slide the catch for the battery door and one of the transmitter packs broke the clip
    But the stuff IS gig worthy
    One thing to be wary of is induction loops for hearing aids in halls
    It's the only thing I've found that interferes with them (and it was a hard one to track down!)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited November 2014
    G30, no problem, really great actually.  Three or four rubber bands around the unit holds the crappy battery door tightly shut, but hey, it's a rubber band fix so not a problem.  Postman leaves spares on front path so easily obtainable.

Incredible range, no drop outs, no "tone" problems whatsoever.  +100 gigs.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

G30 user - love it. The battery door is a bit meh but it's never opened by accident on me. Never dropped out although I'd echo @Cabicular regarding the hearing aid induction loop! It's the only time I couldn't get it to work. It was fine once they turned the induction loop off though.

Batteries last well enough, plenty of range and its never given me any issues. Would happily buy another if anything happened to it.

• It sounds the build quality isn't great on these. This is why I'm definately going for the shure GLX
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    It sounds the build quality isn't great on these. This is why I'm definately going for the shure GLX
    My G30 hasn't broken or played up in over 2 years so I wouldn't have any concerns about build quality. I think the G50 is metal construction though if you want something more robust. I'd happily get another G30 though.
    I took the plunge and bought the G30, My bassist uses one too and we had no problems whatsoever with interference or anything between the two. It actually works amazingly.

I get what people say about the battery door. I don't really think its sketchy/unreliable, it just doesn't quite sit flush when batteries are in so I see what people think about it being a bit 'meh' I jumped about, went out in the crowd, ran about and had no problems whatsoever. 

I've just got some Eneloop rechargeable batteries for it so that should save the cost on batteries every time!
    Only issue with rechargeable a is that when they die ... They die Very quickly I only use them at rehearsals you can be fine at the start of a song then flashy red by the end Just a word of warning
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The only problem we had was one time my bassist and I got "Duracell" AA batteries from a little convenience store in Birmingham near the venue.

They turned out to be fakes, the bassist's died halfway through the last song and mine were flashing red.

So my advice to you is as simple as it is obvious and difficult to follow: Don't use fake batteries.
  • I can echo the same sentiments above, gigged a G30 for over a year, no problems at all. Well once the unit came flying off my strap but that was my fault for not securing it properly and trying to do a Yngwie move, two important lessons learnt there and once there was a Spinal tap moment, where I could hear my guitar coming through something which sounded really distant, check all the amps, PA everything...nothing was on....turned out someone upstairs at the venue was using a wireless mic set to the same frequency...yes my guitar noodling and puzzlement was broadcast to a wedding audience during the speaking.....oh how we laughed!

Great unit, always have back up batteries in my pocket just in case, but always get through a gig or two with no issues. Would be nice actually have a proper indicator but it is no biggy. Also use rubber bands to hold the battery clip in place to be on the safe side.
    Yeah thanks for the advice on the rechargeables, thats why I went for the Envelop ones, Bit more expensive but they're meant to hold their charge much better than normal duracells etc. I'm getting 2 sets anyways so will test them out to see if it'll last the gig, if not I can change them each set.
    They'll last a gig no problem