ES339 value ?

erky32erky32 Frets: 49
I have an immaculate almost unused (I think 7 yr old) ES339 Caramel Burst in its case, unfortunately the cert has gone missing but I've checked its authenticity with Gibson, ....all the other bits & pieces are in the case.
Can anybody advise the selling value of this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'll take it off your hands for £50
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • A grand or there abouts.
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    do you think having no certificate looses any of its value? .....I got it a while back off the original owner and took it at face value for what it was and how it looked & played .....the original owner didnt play but had bought it as an investment and meanwhile lost the cert. Theres no doubt about its originality (or if there is there's a builder out there who deserves recognition!!)
  • erky32 said:
    do you think having no certificate looses any of its value? .....I got it a while back off the original owner and took it at face value for what it was and how it looked & played .....the original owner didnt play but had bought it as an investment and meanwhile lost the cert. Theres no doubt about its originality (or if there is there's a builder out there who deserves recognition!!)
    Some people can be a bit dodgy about it not having the cert. Personally, I don't think it matters that much. It depends on the condition of it for the value I s'pose. If it's immaculate, you might £1200 as private sale I would have thought. But trade in value will be about a grand.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited November 2014
    I'll take it off your hands for £50
    That's a bit cheeky, I'd already offered him £55, if he delivered it :)

I had a go on this one yesterday, it's a good 'un.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739

People do like to have the CoA, it shouldn't be a big deal but it will put some people off.  Maybe it reduces your number of potential buyers rather than reducing the actual value.

I think in good condition in should go for about £1,200, maybe a bit less.  I think that's roughly what I paid for mine, and what I sold it for.

• Richardj said:
    I'll take it off your hands for £50
    That's a bit cheeky, I'd already offered him £55, if he delivered it :)

I had a go on this one yesterday, it's a good 'un.
    Yeh, but I'd be willing to fetch it for cash
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I was begining to soften towards @Richardj kind offer but I'd much rather hold out for what @Philly_Q & @Panama_Jack666 suggested ! .....thanks Philly & PanamaJack, sorry you two cheapskates  :)  .....it's all good fun eh! I'll go and take some snaps and put a classified on.
  • Nice! I love 339's. I think they're one of the better things Gibson Custom shop has come out with more recently. Certainly the Memphis custom shop.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    edited November 2014
    I think the caramel burst colour will also reduce the number of potential buyers - vintage sunburst or cherry would be a lot easier to sell I reckon.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Wow 339's are 7 years old already...
    I have a 1998 custom shop Gibson(es 336) ,they did not issue certificates back then.
    I got in touch with Gibson and they sent me an email that provided the provenance up to where I got it ,and I have a receipt that proves the transaction to me, so this gives the full prominence.
    Maybe you can track yours.
    Mmm... I've already contacted them, and they said they would need good photographs to accompany the serial number. I had purposely withheld any details until then. After I sent the photos and serial number they replied telling me what colour it was, how many pups & type and its year of manufacture!!! ....I even asked them about my doubts about the authenticity of the case, ....they ignored that! ...I later found out that for a period the guitars were issued with a "different" case, being very plain black exterior and a burgundy plush interior. Basically wasn't impressed with the customer support.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2427
    If it's in good nick £1100
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    erky32 said:
    I even asked them about my doubts about the authenticity of the case, ....they ignored that! ...I later found out that for a period the guitars were issued with a "different" case, being very plain black exterior and a burgundy plush interior. Basically wasn't impressed with the customer support.
    What case have you got then?  I've only ever seen them in black with the burgundy plush lining.  Is yours missing the gold lettering on the outside or something?
    No, its exactly that case .....but I thought they were delivered in the either old brown style or black with thick white upholstery. Yes its got the gold lettering on the case .....just didnt know that was standard. ....but thanks, you've just doubly reassured me its the right case.
    @strtdv ....I've PM'd you.
    I'm no expert on Gibson cases, but most of the Custom Shop guitars I've owned, including an ES-339 and CS-336, have been in the black cases with burgundy lining.

They've been using the brown cases, with no lettering on the outside, for recent CS Les Pauls, since some time in 2012 (I don't know if other CS models, apart from LPs, have brown cases or not).

I've only seen the black cases with white lining used for Gibson USA models, not Gibson Custom.  But again, I could be wrong!

Ah ...thanks for that @Philly_Q   It was new to me, I've got a LP I bought in '97 which has the brown case with pink plush, and silky cover. But until recently I had a Midtown Custom which had a Canadian black case with white thick lining ....that was a real quality case!!. 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    I got mine  a few years back from a fellow MLP board member - Vintage Red / 60's neck (50's necks seem to fetch a little more) / black custom case with burgundy int - a real corker of a player and paid, when the economy was better, £1000.

I would like to think I could flip it for the same today - but times are harsh out there!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have"