Soapbar replacements...

What's Hot
Wondering if there's anything affordable out there which cops a brighter, more-open sound than a P90 soapbar, but has the same footprint and mounting?  I've seen some Fralin P90s with Alnico poles, making them a kind of Jazzmaster-pickup-in-a-P90 format, but precious little else.  And yes, I know TV Jones offer loads of their pickups in a soapbar mount (the T-Armonds have me drooling), but I really don't think I can stretch to anything quite that spendy.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I know that TV Jones might be a bit pricey for you, but I have one of their T90s in my SE One. It looks like a P90 but sounds like a cross between a fitlertron and a P90
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    edited November 2014
    Di marzio do some humbuckers in a p90 size .For a cheaper untried source EY parts in china make some as well .They are called Pickups by  Eric which really inspires one confidence .
  • Regular gibson mini humbuckers have the same footprint as a P90 with the mounting rings they come with on the Les Paul Deluxe. Sounds like they would give the sound you want too..
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Talk to Marc at Mojo Pickups, he makes all kinds of stuff in all kinds of sizes, in fact he may do a DeArmond and/or Teisco goldfoil in a P90 size, which would be awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Best idea ^^^^

Them golden foils are setting else but he does different variations as above :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    I've seen some people making soapbars with alnico rods rather than the bar magnet. That might help? Entwistle does a fairly cheap one if you want to try them (and I've heard good things about entwistle, but haven't tried them myself).
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    Have you not simply considered a P90 with a lower output wind and a less bass happy magnet set up than the usual alnico 5?
    As you lower the turn count so the mids open up and you get more 'air' in the sound.
    Many P90s suffer from being far too hot ... even compared to proper 50s originals.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    /\ That there is wisdom.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited November 2014
    Just to clarify, the P90s are in an Eastwood Sidejack VI, currently strung as a baritone A-A.  They both measure in the 7-8k, so aren't overwound or anything (at least by modern standards).  The neck unit I can kind of live with, but the bridge unit being no hotter than the neck makes it sound a little underpowered and foggy, even with it set about as close to the strings as I can get it.

I think clarity is the order of the day here.  I have guitars with minihumbuckers, and like how they sound, but think that with the longer scale length and bigger strings, I need something that'll pick up every bit of twang and snap I can wring out of it....hence the interest in Dearmonds/Dynas.  I'd need to listen to some Gold Foil samples to see if they have that top-end presence, as I tend to think of them as being a little softer sounding overall.
    DarnWeight said:it.

I think clarity is the order of the day here.  I have guitars with minihumbuckers, and like how they sound, but think that with the longer scale length and bigger strings, I need something that'll pick up every bit of twang and snap I can wring out of it....hence the interest in Dearmonds/Dynas.  I'd need to listen to some Gold Foil samples to see if they have that top-end presence, as I tend to think of them as being a little softer sounding overall.
    I have some Mojo Gold Foils, based on Teisco rather than DeArmond pickups (he does both) and think they'd be fantastic in a baritone. They are bright, but with that slightly scooped upper midrange which means you can pile on the treble without it become harsh even on the bridge pickup.
    Even when played totally clean they have that slightly "springy", naturally compressed feel when you really attack the strings.

They turned my 10lb Les Paul into a surf monster, which you wouldn't think possible. I was after the kind of sounds they're getting from the Lollar Gold Foils in this video, and the Mojo version is bang on.

In fact I know Marc has built them in a P90 size, I've seen them on his Facebook page.
  • p90fool said:

In fact I know Marc has built them in a P90 size, I've seen them on his Facebook page.
    Just checked his Facebook page, and you're right, and they do indeed look awesome!  I've been watching the GFS site with interest, as they've just released their soapbar/HB-sized gold foils this week...link here.  They're certainly affordable, but I have the feeling these are basically just pretty generic low-wind singles/HBs with some dressy covers...if they sound good, fine, but I am tempted to spend a little more and get something a bit more "tailored".

I've been watching the GFS site with interest, as they've just released their soapbar/HB-sized gold foils this week...link here.  They're certainly affordable, but I have the feeling these are basically just pretty generic low-wind singles/HBs with some dressy covers..
    You might be right, they almost admit it by saying they've thrown the cheapo construction in the bin, and there's no mention of the correct rubber magnets either.

I've spent years (and serious money) looking for cheapo alternatives but have saved a fortune in the last two years by getting Ash at Oil City and Marc at Mojo to just build me what I want. I've bought two sets of pickups in the last two years from those guys instead of ten sets or so from mass-producers in the previous two.

The Mojo Gold Foils absolutely nail the tones in the video I posted and I'm not sure a generic underwound single coil with a pretty cover will tbh. It's ironic, since the original Teisco pickups were produced in their millions very cheaply!