Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wasp stings

What's Hot
Got my first one today.
Don't think I want another in a hurry.
Bastards.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've only ever had 2, sort of.

1st time one of the little fuckers flew up the sleeve of my T-shirt and stung me many times while I tried to get it out of my armpit.

2nd one was on me arse when I sat on one.

I concur with your statement, Bastards.

I believe they may serve some purpose but I'm not sure quite what it is.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited September 2013
    I think they're on the planet to piss us off. Along with a shedload of other nasty little critters that bit me last night.

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    littlegreenman;39175" said:

Predominantly they are natures pest control (thought they were the pests?), they keep the numbers of caterpillars and other crop eating insects down. Some species are pollinators too.
    Fancy that, I learnt something today, good old google.
    They're still bastards though.
  • Different species but hey: The bass player in my band got stung by a bee just before an outdoor gig. He says it made him play more relaxed and now we are looking to replicate this effect using electricity somehow.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4973
    edited September 2013
    gilby said:
    littlegreenman;39175" said:

Predominantly they are natures pest control (thought they were the pests?), they keep the numbers of caterpillars and other crop eating insects down. Some species are pollinators too.
    Fancy that, I learnt something today, good old google.
    They're still bastards though.
    In that case, I'll let the stingey MF'ers live :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17565
    tFB Trader
    The stings are horrible, but the delicious mustard they produce makes it worth it. 
  • Wasps make condiments now? That's a pretty big jump in manufacturing technology for winged insects! ;)
    tFB Trader
    Don't tell me you've never had waspard?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Different species but hey: The bass player in my band got stung by a bee just before an outdoor gig. He says it made him play more relaxed and now we are looking to replicate this effect using electricity somehow.

Does it work on drummers?

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    When I was littler I got stung in the ear - edge of my ear hole and because of the swelling I had a form of tinnitus till the swelling went down ... put me off wasps that's for sure.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Had a few over the years, the size of the wasp makes a big difference, little tiddlers being not so bad. You can buy a pen thing that you rub over the sting and the pain goes. We keep one around for the sake of the kids.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Waspard - timewaster letters, right?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    viz said:
    Waspard - timewaster letters, right?
    Wisdom for you Mr Viz.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    I've only been stung once; on the sole of my bare foot, obviously I stood on the little bastard. It really hurt, I thought I'd trodden on some glass at first.

I've read somewhere that if you get stung you should use a credit card to 'scrape' off the sting. I hope I don't need to test the idea out anytime in the near future though. Wasps are really at the top of the hate list for me. They're even more pointless than flies.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    been stung by wasps oodles of times, most recently last year on the finger.

Once when I was 5 or 6  got stung in the back of the mouth (it was in my soup !!) and had to be rushed to local docs and have an injection.

Cant remember being sting by a bee, but probably have.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Not a wasp, but remembered that I once fell into a nettle patch - managed to get a phantom-of-the-opera set of stings by falling on my side - not nearly as painful as wasp stings, but certainly uncomfortable

Aaaaand... I don't think that bee stings can make drummers more relaxed - most i've known have been so relaxed that only the flailing of their arms proved they're still alive
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I got stung in the nutsack by a wasp once. I was freeballing around the living room on a hot day, sat on a chair and the vile little bastard was just waiting for my scrote to come within reach. I danced like a motherfucker.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    Pah... that's nothing...  I once had a Kodiak bear stab me repeatedly in the helmet with a large thorn.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    that wasnt a bear,  it was Vim in a suit
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Never been stung, which I put down to the fact that, for the entirety of my life, I've been jumping and flapping like a total idiot whenever there's a stingy thing within range.

I felt a bit silly about it for the first few years, I won't lie. Then, one day at a Cubs camp, I was carrying the weekend's big chocolate cake from the car, and a low humming started...which got louder. Then I felt something quite heavy land on my arm, and everybody scattered.

'Twas a hornet.

It didn't sting me, but even having never seen one before I could tell it was a nasty evil thing.

Now, anything which looks vaguely like a hornet - no matter how diminutive - provokes a total, instinctive fear reaction which I simply can't switch off.

Still not been stung, though...
    <space for hire>