Glass Blasting

thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
edited November 2014 in Guitar
Does anyone on here have access to a shot blaster? 

I have a set of locking machine heads that I would like to strip and have refinished. I think I have someone who can plate them for me, but need to see if the finish can be removed first.

They are the matt finish Fender ones (from what I think is a strat plus… it has lace sensors). 

The guitar as a whole needs some tlc as even the roller nut has been removed and replaced with a standard one, and the pick guard has deformed somehow.

Thanks in advance guys
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    I do. I don't know if plastic media will remove the finish though. It might. I also have access to dry media, it's a lot harsher and will definitely remove the finish but it will leave them quite rough/pitted. If I can help just pm me.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16651
    Has the normal nut been put in the same place as the roller one without any other modification. If so it may be in the wrong place
  • Thanks @Deadman. I am concerned that the corrosion already present may have caused some pitting. I used to work for a hydraulics company, and spent many hours glass blasting parts for British Steel… unfortunately they aren't around anymore. I'll have a closer look later.

@WezV - I'm honestly not sure. I need to get at the guitar and start looking at what needs doing. I have a guitar tech I use who is very good, so I'm hoping he can help put it back to former glory. My best mate picked it up used from the states, but he's on tour constantly around the world…. hence I'm sorting it :-)

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

If someone can plate them then they might have the chemicals to strip the originals back.

If you have an industrial estate near you try an engineering shop or a motor repair place, for a four pack of stella I'm sure they could do it for you.

I would if offered!

• @SNAKEBITE - Many thanks for that idea mate, will look into those as ideas :-)
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    Check out powder coating companies, they tend to have shot/grit blasting and chemical stripping setups so they have control of the surface pretreatment. Should be some experienced firms in your area due to the (now long gone) auto industry
  • Mr Jones, thank you :-)
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    No worries, though it may be easier to check here or ebay for a decent set of sperzels or schallers. Pics, someone should be able to ID them if its not obvious.
  • I would go along with checking whether chemical "stripping" is an option.  You will have to strip the tuners to have them plated anyway, given the chemistry of the process.  IMO blasting them will either damage the brushed surface or will leave plating in the troughs.  Although I could be totally wrong about this as I have never tried it...

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    @SNAKEBITE - Many thanks for that idea mate, will look into those as ideas :-)
    No worries, glad I could help.