Acoustic Pick Up Questions

I'm looking into getting a soundhole pick up for my steel string acoustic to experiment with more recording options using effects, and maybe attending the odd jam session here and there.  I saw this on Amazon, http://www.amazon.ca/Dean-Markley-3011-ProMag-Acoustic/dp/B0037FR4HM/ref=pd_sbs_MI_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1V7H4EMM39HVVF7TN5M6   Anybody have experience or tips?   I searched the forum and didn't find much info.  I used to have a Bill Lawrence model that worked great for several years until the attached cord started shorting out right where it attaches to the pick up and I couldn't get at it without prying the whole thing apart.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71862
    Old and low-tech but good.

Don't expect it to sound like a modern preamped magnetic pickup, but they work well with effects if you're not looking for a 'true acoustic' sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Old and low-tech but good.

Don't expect it to sound like a modern preamped magnetic pickup, but they work well with effects if you're not looking for a 'true acoustic' sound.
    Thanks, I'm looking for "different" sounds as usual but would like to use it now and then for just amplifying an acoustic guitar.   I have an outboard tube preamp that I want to try, it comes in handy for lots of things, supplying phantom power for a condenser mic for one, and I use it to boost/alter the signal when recording electric bass and guitar sometimes.  It can deliver a nice clean signal as well as an aggressive tube overdrive.  Mainly though, I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do plugged into my Mustang amp.  I have experimented a little with the mic but I crave the "closed" circuit a pick up can give. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I recently had a Fishman neo D Humbucker, it sounded good but If I was looping noise was added from effects due to the relatively low output of the pickup. If I get something else i'll go with something with a preamp so the signal comes out of the guitar much hotter with a better noise floor. With the passive pickup I was turning things up too much and bringing the noise with it.
  • I recently had a Fishman neo D Humbucker, it sounded good but If I was looping noise was added from effects due to the relatively low output of the pickup. If I get something else i'll go with something with a preamp so the signal comes out of the guitar much hotter with a better noise floor. With the passive pickup I was turning things up too much and bringing the noise with it.
    I'm planning on running it through a dbx tube pre amp if it doesn't have the output I want.  I get great results when I plug my Takemine classical in without the pre amp but it's pick up system is top notch.  All of the soundhole pick ups in my area are at least 3 times the cost of this Dean Markley, and that's including shipping.   If it proves to be no good for recording at least it'l be something to have for live situations, which do come up now and then.

• erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    I tried 3 pups on my Larrivee to get what i wanted... Good acoustic reproduction, but also able to get dirty with pedals. Started with a Baggs M1 ....great clean acoustic repro', but massive feedback with any drive. Went to SDWoody HB. Worked well for clean and gritty, but was tuned purely for acoustic strings. Since i was also experimenting with strings for comfort and bends i then moved to a Woody XL, ie a HB with variable pole pieces ....perfect for me, good acoustic repro, takes drive and compression, and tolerant to acoustic or elec strings. Works for me!! Settled on Ernie Ball Acoustic slinkys with an unwound 017 3rd, not for purists but it floats my boat!